The mission of Residence Life is to foster a residential experience that engages individuals as students, community members and learners through academic support, civic responsibility and personal development.
Residence Life strives to…
- Build a better student.
- Build a better person.
- Build a better community.
- Build a better experience.
Provide a positive, supportive and safe residential experience for Western Michigan University students and staff.
- Focus on facility improvements that enhance safety, lifestyle and satisfaction.
- Provide staff that is knowledgeable, accessible and responsive to students and facilities.
- Provide intentional experiences that facilitate individual, social and academic connections.
Support students in their pursuit of academic excellence.
- Provide a facility and policies that support learning.
- Develop a staff that supports the academic mission through promotion of academic resources and programming and investment in individual success.
- Offer a variety of living learning communities that expand a student’s curricular and co-curricular experience.
- Recognize student academic achievement through a variety of reward and incentive programs.
Create communities that integrate active engagement, personal responsibility and a sense of belonging.
- Foster student interaction so that individuals are valued and feel as though they are part of a community.
- Promote diversity through education, policies, practices, programs and a shared living experience.
- Establish and enforce community standards that promote accountability and respect.
Promote and support diverse environments that enhance experiential learning and personal development.
- Provide programming that enhances the residential and university experience as well as stimulates personal growth.
- Offer progressive leadership opportunities that provide a variety of experiences, skill development and responsibilities.
- Strive to prepare students for life after Western Michigan University.