Comparative Religion Major

Individuals interested in taking a class in the Department of Comparative Religion as an undergraduate may follow one of two pathways:

  1. Apply as an undergraduate student if you are seeking a degree.
  2. Apply as a transfer student if you have taken courses elsewhere.


Catalog information for the comparative religion major.

See the curriculum for catalog year  2011. (Your catalog year is displayed in Degree Works.)

Many comparative religion courses satisfy general education requirements at Western Michigan University.

  • Area II  —  Humanities: REL 1000, 2050, 2070, 3115, 3125, 3135, 3180, 3240, 3320, 3360
  • Area III — United States: REL 2065, 3015
  • Area IV — Other Cultures: REL 2010, 2020, 2030, 2040, 2060, 3025
  • Area V — Social and Behavioral Sciences: REL 2080, 3145, 3155, 3165, 3230
  • Area VIII - Health and Well-Being: REL 3190

Other requirements:

  • A minimum grade of “C” is required in all courses to be counted toward the major or minor.
  • At least half of all credit hours to be counted toward the major or minor (14 and eight credit hours, respectively) must be taken in the Department of Comparative Religion.

Undergraduate comparative religion courses

Questions? Contact: