Master of Arts

Admission requirements

Graduate students at Western Michigan University must satisfy all the criteria in the Graduate College catalog. In addition, the Department of Comparative Religion requires:

  • A summary of your experiences in academic, professional, research, creative or scholarly activities.  Indicate how these experiences make you an ideal candidate for graduate study.  Also address how these activities align with the strengths of the faculty and with your professional goals.  Be sure to address which religion(s) you are interested in studying and why you wish to study religion here at WMU.  This statement should be typed, double-spaced, and between 500 and 750 words.
  • An academic writing sample of 10-15 pages.
  • Three letters of reference from persons in a position to asses the student's qualifications for master's level study. Return completed reference forms to:

    Director of Graduate Studies
    Department of Comparative Religion
    1903 W Michigan Ave
    Western Michigan University
    Kalamazoo MI 49008-5320
  • International students must submit TOEFL scores of 600 or above.
  • Deadlines are Feb. 15 if you wish to be considered for financial aid and July 1, if you do not.
  • Awarding graduate assistantships is based upon the qualifications of each applicant and dependent upon the availability of funding. A separate application is not required. Applicants will be notified about admission and graduate assistantships via letter by March 15.
  • Admission checklist.

Apply online

Financial assistance

Financial assistance in the form of graduate assistantships is available on a competitive basis. These awards normally include waiver of non-resident tuition. The department also awards a number of graduate scholarships and tuition grants.

The Graduate College offers Graduate college Fellowships, available on a competitive basis, as well as Thurgood Marshall Assistantships, available on a competitive basis for students from minority groups. Contact the Graduate College at (269) 387-8212.

Information about student loans and other federal, state, and University need-based financial aid programs may be obtained from the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships at (269) 387-6000.


Information about on-campus housing may be obtained from Residence Life at (269) 387-4735.