The Department of Geosciences at Western Michigan University is a highly active program, which leaves us no shortage of information to report at any given time. As such, there are several places on this site where you can read about various developments involving our faculty, staff, students and alumni. For instance:
- Homepage: The "Highlights" section on our homepage features the very latest department news.
- Newsletters: The newsletters page archives the department's annual newsletter, an excellent source to learn about developments in the department by year.
- Recent Student Achievements: This page celebrates our undergraduate and graduate students' achievements as they compete for awards at WMU and in the external geosciences community.
- Alumni Spotlight: Visit this page to find out where recent alumni are now and what they are up to!
- Events: You guessed it! Our events page features details about the department's annual seminar series, graduate student proposals and defenses and a wide variety of other activities that we hope you will consider participating in. The events page is updated frequently, especially in the fall and spring semesters.
- Directory: To catch up on our faculty and research staffs' recent publications, visit their directory pages.
Geosciences in the News
To read articles or read/listen to interviews with our faculty and staff regarding a variety of recent events, check out the links the below.
- New Michigan budget includes WMU funding for new geologic mapping
June 22, 2016 | WMU News
WMU President John Dunn and MI Geological Survey director John Yellich discuss the important of this newly appropriated funded. The article also details the past accomplishments of the MI Geological Survey and future plans.
- WMU professor says rising ocean levels could flood major cities
Apr. 10, 2016 | WIN 98.5 - WNWN
Dr. Michelle Kominz discusses the findings of two recent reports that suggest water levels are rising at triple the current estimates.
- Promoting geosciences at minority-serving and 2-year colleges
Feb. 15, 2016 | Eos
The Geo-Needs project, with which Dr. Heather Petcovic is affiliated, is profiled.
- Salty Lakes: Is road salt ruining Kalamazoo's urban lakes?
Nov. 1, 2015 | Encore
Dr. Carla Koretsky, Dean of the Lee Honors College and professor of geosciences, is interviewed about an unexpected discovery made by her students during a field experience on Woods Lake.
- Western Michigan University's Department of Geosciences celebrates its 50th year
Oct. 7, 2015| Western Herald
Dr. Mohamed Sultan, department chair, is interviewed about the history of the Department of Geosciences, current research initiatives, and goals for the future.
- Expert: 3.3 earthquake ‘separate’ from May quake
July 1, 2015| WOOD TV8
John Yellich, director of the Michigan Geological Survey, provides an on-camera interview about the June 30 earthquake near Union City, Michigan.
- Structural Geologist Chris Schmidt discusses latest W. Mich. earthquake
July 1, 2015| NEWSCHANNEL 3
Dr. Chris Schmidt provides a studio interview about the June 30 earthquake near Union City, Michigan.
- Geologists say more minor quakes could be expected in Michigan
June 30, 2015| NEWSCHANNEL 3
Dr. William Harrison, director of the Michigan Geological Repository for Research and Education, is interviewed about the June 30 earthquake near Union City, Michigan.
- Western Michigan Hydrogeology Field Course Prepares Students For Field Work
June 15, 2015| Environmental Monitor
The six-week long summer Hydrogeology Field Course educates, provides hands-on vocational training, and prepares students for careers in the geosciences.
- Experts: Don’t expect major earthquake in MI
May 4, 2015| WOOD TV8
Dr. Chris Schmidt and John Yellich , director of the Michigan Geological Survey, are interviewed about the May 2 earthquake near Galesburg, Michigan.
- Geosciences adds augmented reality sandbox to Schmaltz Museum
Jan. 10, 2015| WMU News
The AR sandbox is a hands-on exhibit combining a real sandbox with virtual topography.
- Geosciences alumni recognized for groundwater industry contributions
Dec. 10, 2014| CSUF News
The National Ground Water Association is awarding Dr. W. Richard Laton for his outstanding service.
- Geosciences professor to receive Distinguished Service Award
April 28, 2014| The Geochemical Society
The Geochemical Society is awarding Distinguished Service Award to Dr. Carla Koretsky.
- WMU partners with energy company to inject carbon dioxide underground, flush out leftover oil
March 18, 2014| Mlive News
WMU Geosciences facilitates economic development in Michigan.
- New director named for Michigan Geological Survey
Nov. 7, 2013 | WMU News
Mr. John A. Yellich has been appointed as the director of the Michigan Geological Survey at Western Michigan University.
- WMU research facility assists in rediscovery of rare mineral deposit
Sept. 10, 2013 | WMU News
Western Michigan University's Michigan Geological Repository for Research and Education has discovered a long-forgotten mineral deposit located under two West Michigan counties.
- Road salt causing dramatic changes in southwest Michigan lakes
Sept. 18, 2013 | Environmental monitor
Professor of geosciences and her students study the environmental changes caused by road salt in southwest Michigan lakes.