The Advisory Council for the Department of Geosciences at Western Michigan University advises the department on the formulation of long-term educational plans and ensures that the academic programs meet today's industry needs.
The Council is the oldest active advisory council at Western Michigan University. The council members are distinguished industry and academic professionals in geosciences and business who have worked throughout the U.S. and the world, all of whom have a strong interest in helping to strengthen and support geosciences at Western Michigan University. The council's tasks can be summarized as follows:
- Advise the department regarding curriculum changes in order to meet current industry and employment trends.
- Assist in producing geosciences graduates who are well-prepared for employment and leadership roles. See our "Reccomendations to Applicants in Search of Geosciences Positions".
- Provide guidance to students through informal meetings and events.
- Advocate departmental needs and activities to the University administration.
- Collaborate with the University Office of Development and Alumni Relations on fundraising campaigns that support departmental activities.
Advisory Board Officers
- Jeff Hawkins, Chair
President, Envirologic. Inc
Phone: (269) 342-1100
- Richard Laton, Ph.D., Vice Chair
Professor of Hydrogeology, University of California at Fullerton
Phone: (657) 278-7514
- Thomas C. Kamin, Secretary
Independent Petroleum Production Geologist
Phone: (972) 874-5050
Advisory Board Members
- Adam Milewski
Assistant Professor, University of Georgia
Phone: (706) 542-4263
- Brian Shaw, Ph.D.
Geologist and Founding Dean, Oettinger School of Science and Technology Intelligence at the National Intelligence University