The Graduate College at Western Michigan University requires the following from Doctor of Philosophy applicants within the Department of Political Science:
- Must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution and have achieved a 3.25 GPA in the last two years of their bachelor’s degree.
- Students who have completed at least 20 hours of graduate coursework must have an overall GPA of 3.25 for that graduate work.
- Students with less than 20 hours of graduate work must have a GPA of 3.0 as an undergraduate and 3.25 for all graduate courses.
In addition, the department requires that students applying with a:
- Bachelor's degree have completed at least 24 hours of coursework in the social sciences (anthropology, economics, history, political science, sociology) or other relevant fields and have achieved a 3.25 GPA.
- Master's degree have a GPA of at least 3.25 for all graduate work.
Prerequisite (noncredit): Students must have completed an undergraduate statistics course (PSCI 3950 or its equivalent).