News and events
Political science alumni recall how their education has made a difference in their careers.
- Alumnus Carmen Siciliano, Bachelor of Arts in American public policy, serves as legislative assistant to State Senator Mike Nofs.
- Alumnus Frank Waters, minor in political science, reminisces about his time at Western Michigan University and how he became the director of the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs in Lansing, Mich.
- Alumnus Tom Lenard, Bachelor of Arts in American public policy, talks about his job as chief of staff for State Senator Jim Ananich (Bronco Legislative Network).
- Dr. Mark Hurwitz has been named editor-in-chief of Justice System Journal, a peer-reviewed journal sponsored by the National Center for State Courts.
- Dr. Jim Butterfield was a visiting professor at Kazakh Agrotechnical University in Astana, Kazakhstan, during May 2013 where he lectured on failed states and changing conceptions of state sovereignty. He conducted informal discussions on the field of political science in the United States with faculty and graduate students and gave presentations on internationalization of higher education including a keynote presentation at a daylong conference on internationalization and multilingual education.
- Jacob Nelson, a senior majoring in Political Science and Economics, was honored by the Michigan Political Science Association for having written the best paper by an undergraduate during the 2013-2014 academic year. Nelson's paper, submitted for his Democratization in South Asia class, was nominated by Dr. Mahendra Lawoti.
- Matt Arsenault (Ph.D. 2012) has been appointed assistant professor (tenure track) at Mount Aloysius College beginning in fall 2014. He previously served as a Presidential Management Fellow in the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- Michael Romano (Ph.D. 2014) has been appointed visiting assistant professor at Georgia Southern University beginning in fall 2014.
- Anthony Squiers (Ph.D. 2012) has been appointed assistant professor (tenure-track) at the University of Kurdistan Hewlêr (Iraq) beginning in February 2014.
- Latasha Chaffin (Ph.D. 2013) has been appointed assistant professor (tenure-track) at the College of Charleston beginning in fall 2013.
- Todd Curry (Ph.D. 2012) has been appointed assistant professor (tenure-track) at the University of Texas-El Paso beginning in fall 2013.
- Miguel Centellas (Ph.D. 2007) has been appointed assistant professor (tenure-track) at Jackson State University beginning in fall 2013. He was Croft Visiting Assistant Professor at the University of Mississippi from 2009 to 2013. He previously taught at Dickinson College in Pennsylvania (2006 to 2008) and Mount St. Mary's University in Maryland (2008 to 2009).