Math 1090 in the Developmental Math Program in the Department of Mathematics at Western Michigan University is a mastery-based course designed to sharpen computational skills involving whole numbers, fractions, decimals, percents, geometric figures and word problems.
- Course syllabus
- Multiplication table
- Tips for success
- WMU Writing Center
EXAM DATES FOR FALL 2017 BY EXAM NUMBER
- Friday, Sept. 22; 25 minutes
- Friday, Oct. 6; 25 minutes
- Monday, Oct. 23; 50 minutes
- Monday, Nov. 6; 25 minutes
- Wednesday, Nov. 29; 50 minutes
If you are unable to attend class on any exam day you must notify Dr. Eisenhart (269) 387-4117 or (269) 873-8194 before the exam or a make-up may be denied.
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE BY WEEK NUMBER
- Problem solving worksheet (Polya method), whole numbers and MathXL Demo
- Whole number properties, meanings of operators and variable sense with Polya worksheet
- Combining like terms, area verses perimeter and Exam 1
- Using variables for problem solving
- Fraction meaning, Exam 2, ratios and proportions
- Comparing fractions and adding fractions
- Multiplying and dividing fractions, revisit number properties and variable sense with fractions, and signed number meaning
- Exam 3, adding and subtracting signed numbers, and absolute value
- Multiplying and dividing signed numbers, revisit number properties and variable sense with signed numbers, and mixed number meaning
- Exam 4, adding and subtracting mixed numbers
- Multiplying and dividing mixed, revisit number properties and variable sense with signed numbers, and decimal meaning
- Operations with decimals and Thanksgiving
- Solving proportion problems using variables, Exam 5, more proportions
- Unit conversions, area verses perimeter and Pythagorean
There is class on Wednesday, Nov. 22, so do not leave early for Thanksgiving recess.
Monday, Nov. 6 is the last day a student can process an official withdrawal from a class to avoid a failing grade.