Deadlines: Applications for the Masters of Arts in educational leadership concentrations of K-12 principal leadership, teacher leadership, educational and global leadership and K-12 principal and interscholastic athletic administration are accepted on an ongoing basis.
Students should apply at least 4 weeks in advance of the given semester.
Note: "Conditional admissions" may be considered for those applicants who meet all requirements except the desired English language proficiency score (under the conditions noted below).
Admission procedures and requirements
Within this online application system applicants must include the following:
- Resume or curriculum vita: A resume or curriculum vita is required and must be submitted within the online application.
- Written statement: Please prepare a statement which covers the following information, and attach it within the online application:
In three (3) typed, double-spaced pages or less, address the following four areas (please note that these responses are also viewed as a writing sample):
- Summarize your prior professional experiences to date;
- Explain why you are applying for this specific program concentration;
- Describe what type of position you hope to hold upon graduation, if admitted to the program; and
- Describe any challenges you anticipate if admitted to the program and how you plan to address them.
- Education history information and transcripts:
- Applicants must list all previously attended higher education institutions.
- Applicants must submit an official transcript from every higher education institution they have ever attended (except WMU).
- Applicants must have an overall grade point average of at least 3.0 in the last two years of their undergraduate work.
- English language proficiency scores (international applicants only)
- As required by WMU, international applicants must provide proof of English competency, unless they have successfully completed either four years of upper secondary school or one year of full-time tertiary (university-level) education. See WMU English language requirements for more information.
- English proficiency scores may be reported within the online application system and official scores must be sent to WMU.
- Desired minimum English language proficiency scores for this M.A. include: 6.5 on IELTS; 227 on TOEFL (CBT), 567 on TOEFL (PBT), or a 86 on TOEFL (iBt), with the following minimum subscores on the TOEFL (iBT): 20 in reading, 20 in listening, 24 in speaking, and 22 in writing.
- Students not meeting these minimum desired scores may still apply and potentially receive “conditional admission.” For such students, full admission would be granted after having met the requirements for advanced-level students within WMU’s Center for English Language and Culture for International Students (CELCIS) program (by passing all advanced-level classes with a final grade of “B” or better). Students conditionally admitted may take the EDLD 6791 Masters Seminar course while completing the CELCIS program.
The application process for this M.A. does not require GRE test scores or written recommendations.
Questions? Contact the Department of Educational Leadership, Research and Technology graduate office at (269) 387-3893 or Diane Bourgeois.