- Consider using the Go Government website to get the overview of working in the federal government, including benefits, tips on how to find the right fit for your skills/interests, the ability to browse opportunities by agency or field, and great application tips.
- Narrow down your search. Select a GS grade level to make an easy match between your skills and the position. Refine your search by work schedule or type, (internship options vs full-time work) and location.
- Federal Grade levels (GS):
GS-3 or GS-4: Typically internships or student jobs
GS-5 to GS-7: Most entry-level positions
GS-8 to GS-12: Mid-level positions
GS-13 to GS-15: Top-level supervisory positions
- Create an account on USAJOBS to save job searches, apply to jobs, search and upload/manage five customized resumes.
Apply to positions for which you are qualified. You must meet the minimum requirements of the internship/job, so only apply if you meet them all.
Complete the applications in full. This means write out full sentences, use proper grammar, write multi- page, narrative resumes customized to the position, include your references and writing samples per the job posting. Anything not completed will prevent you from moving forward in the process.
- Create multiple resumes catered to each job.
- Create and upload application materials (save them in a Word document for easy retrieval).
- Track your application and status.