student employee structure effective January 1, 2018
- New pay structure for student employees takes effect January 1, 2018.
- Student Employee -SE- Level 1, Step 1, was set at the State of Michigan minimum wage.
- Steps can be used for optional raises, initiated by the department.
- A fourth option "SEQ" is available for highly skilled positions requiring pay rate exceptions beyond SE3.3. There are no steps for SEQ level.
- In the rare instance when a pay rate above $20 per hour is justified, documentation must be provided by the hiring agent. These exceptions are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis.
Pay Rates Effective January 2018
|SEQ||Between $10.66 and $20 per hour. Rates above $20 per hour require prior approval.|
General guidelines for determining position level
SE1: Position requires minimal skill; training is provided. Direct supervision provided. Routine work with minimal judgment needed.
SE2: Position requires some skill development; can be brought to the position or learned on the job. Direct and indirect supervision is provided. Uses independent judgment within limits.
SE3: Position requires previous skill development. Indirect supervision provided. May provide work direction and supervision to other student employees. Uses independent judgment to solve problems.
SEQ: Position requires specialized skills. Works independently, with little to no supervision.
- On January 1, 2018, positions falling below minimum wage automatically adjusted to SE1.1.
- Change in rate requires submitting a new transaction through student employment online transactions.
Schedule of State of Michigan minimum wage increases
Sept. 1, 2014: $8.15
Jan. 1, 2016: $8.50
Jan. 1, 2017: $8.90
Jan. 1, 2018: $9.25
More information on minimum wage increases in Michigan at the State of Michigan website.