Through WIRE, the Walker Institute fulfills an important part of its mission: to help build more equitable and inclusive communities through community service. Since 2008, more than 1,000 youth between 7 and 13 years-old have participated in one or more WIRE Youth Development Programs from the Walker Institute.
WIRE programs help youth envision themselves in college and in desirable careers—and provide culturally sensitive guidance and instruction to help them get there. All programs are free of charge.
2017 WIRE Summer Math and Science Camp
Are you looking for a great FREE program that will promote the healthy growth, development and learning of your child?
Enroll your child in the 2017 WIRE Summer Math and Science Camp today!
Who: Kalamazoo County Youth Grades 3-8
When: July 10 - August 4, 2017, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. until noon. A field trip is planned for every Friday.
Where: Western Michigan University (main campus), 1123 Welborn Hall (2508 W. Michigan Ave.)
The primary goals for participating in the WIRE math and science camp are to give children an opportunity to:
- gain a deeper understanding of math and science by focusing on number theory, problem solving, and algebraic expression;
- increase the students' level of confidence by reducing the fear and anxiety associated with learning math and science;
- reduce the summer slide (the loss of 25% to 33% of what was learned the previous year by not engaging in academic activities over the summer).
Additional programs may be offered, depending interest and availability of resources.
Other WIRE programs occasionally offered since 2008
- Together Kalamazoo: An Exploration of Youth Creativity, Diversity & Community through the Arts—in collaboration with BIGthink (spring, 2014)
- WIRE Golf (Sm, 2013)
- Merze-Tate Travel Writers Club– a collaboration with Community Voices (2013-2014)
- WIRE Summer Book Club (Sm, 2012 and 2013)
- Edison Cooks Nutrition and Food Preparation Program (2011)
- Razas United Youth Program, 2008-11, with Hispanic American Council and Boys and Girls Club
- Kalamazoo Youth Media Initiative—a collaboration with the WMU School of Communication and the Public Media Network (2008-09)