The mission of the Walker Institute is to engage in research, teaching and service to promote:
- Understanding of race and ethnic relations, with a special emphasis on the causes of disparities and the contexts in which conflicts as well as shared purposes and perspectives arise.
- Appreciation of the diverse peoples and cultures of the United States, with special emphasis on the peoples and cultures of Michigan.
- More equitable and inclusive communities and institutions, especially in this region of the state and throughout Michigan.
Walker Institute in the news
- Interview with Tim Ready on WMUK’s West Southwest about Shared Prosperity Kalamazoo and the challenges facing ex-offenders, April 30, 2015 http://wmuk.org/post/wsw-help-poverty-help-children-undergirds-city-kalamazoos-new-initiative
- Interview with Tim Ready on WMUK’s West Southwest about his publication on the limits of the Kalamazoo Promise, July 6, 2015 http://wmuk.org/post/wsw-limits-kalamazoo-promise
- Interview with Tim Ready on WZZM TV-13 on racial and economic inequality of opportunity in West Michigan, June 23, 2015 http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/local/metro/2015/06/23/racism/29169737/Ready
- Interview on WGVU Radio with Tim Ready on racial and economic inequality of opportunityhttp://wgvu2.org/wgvunews/audio/fplayer1.cfm?styid=32366&id=news
- Interview with Tim Ready on race, class and the criminal justice system that was broadcast on a Cable TV Program sponsored by Crossroads Ministries and broadcast in Kent, Kalamazoo, Calhoun, Ottawa and Muskegon Counties. http://cbi.fm/portfolio-view/finding-unity-in-diversity/
- Tim Ready’spublication on the Kalamazoo Promise was cited in an article in the Los Angeles Times, July 13, 2015. http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0713-reeves-kalamazoo-promise-20150713-story.html
- Tim Ready and Maurice Washington were interviewed on the Lori Moore Show on Kalamazoo CW-7 TV on race, class and the criminal justice system, March 24, 2015. http://www.wwmt.com/community/features/lori-moore-show/stories/03-24-15-Timothy-Ready-and-Maurice-Washington-39-Less-Prison-More-College-39-106626.shtml#.VedSpvlVhBc
- “Lecture on ‘Less Prison, More College’ Launches New WMU Walker Institute Series on Criminal Justice System.” Kalamazoo Gazette, March 27, 2015. http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2015/03/lecture_on_less_prison_more_co.html
- “Kalamazoo Forums on Race and Criminal Justice to Kick Off April 14.” Kalamazoo Gazettee, April 10, 2015. http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/12/kalamazoo_public_safety_workin_1.html
- “Six Takeaways from Kalamazoo Forum on Juvenile Justice, Race and Class.” Kalamazoo Gazette, April 15, 2015. www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2015/04/5_takeaways_from_kalamazoo_for.htm
- “Should We Press the Reset Button on Our Criminal Justice System?” Kalamazoo Gazette, April 18, 2015. http://www.mlive.com/opinion/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2015/04/do_we_need_to_press_the_reset.html
- “Two Sistahs Can We Talk Events in July Aim to Help Low Income Women.” Kalamazoo Gazette, July 17, 2014. http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/07/two_sistahs_can_we_talk_events.html
- “Men’s Health, Mental Health and Violence Prevention Topics of Workshop in Kalamazoo Tonight.” Kalamazoo Gazette, October 23, 2014 http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/10/mens_health_mental_health_and.html
- “Kalamazoo Public Safety Putting Focus on Community Relationships since Before Ferguson.” Kalamazoo Gazette, December 19, 2014 http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/12/kalamazoo_public_safety_workin_1.html