Early childhood elementary education is available to elementary education students. Beyond the certificate and endorsement eligibility, WMU's early childhood program provides:
- An opportunity to belong to a community of students and faculty with common interests
- Experience with children of all ages, with special emphasis on children from birth to eight years
- A portfolio of evidence of increasing skill level—a valuable tool in securing professional employment
Graduates of the elementary education program will be eligible for certification to teach:
- Early childhood (general and special education) ZS endorsement (birth to age eight)
- Kindergarten to fifth grade in all subjects
- Grades K-8 in second and third minors
- Kindergarten to eighth grade in all subjects when teaching in a self-contained classroom—one in which the majority of instruction is provided by a single teacher
- Admissions and advising office
- Advising for current students—program guides, graduation plans, content area major and minor guides and more.
- Basic skills examination
- Field placements
- MTTC test registration and preparation information
- Subject area content courses and requirements
- Teacher certification
FORMS AND RESOURCES
Please submit forms by email to Tammie Klinger.
- Closed class form for (elementary and secondary)
- Early childhood pre-K internship application
- Elementary education resources for career guidance and exploration
Suggested Program Plan
Please note: Below is a suggested program. Contact the Office of Admissions and Advising for specific program guidance.
|Sophomore||ED 2500||Content courses|
|ES 2900||Teacher shadow (8 hours)|
Pass appropriate basic skills examination. Apply to elementary education program.
|Junior +||ED 3090||Content courses|
|ED 3500||EDT 3470|
|ED 5750||ENGL 3690|
|ED 3690|| Field experience
(1 day a week)
|LS 3770|| Field experience
Apply for teaching internship (one year before start of final internship).
|Senior||ES 3950||SPED 4270|
|ED 4010||HPHE 3520|
|LS 3780||Content courses|
|ED 4700||Field experience
(5 half days)
Pass MTTC Elementary Education test #103. Apply for graduation.
|ED 3710||Two full days
|ED 4100|| Five full days