Early Childhood General and Special Education ZS Endorsement
|Sophomore||ED 2500||Content courses|
|ES 2900||Teacher shadow (8 hours)|
Pass MTTC Professional Readiness Exam #96. Apply to elementary education program.
|Junior +||ED 3090||Content courses|
|ED 3500||EDT 3470|
|ED 5750||ENGL 3690|
|ED 3690|| Field experience
(1 day a week)
|LS 3770|| Field experience
Apply for teaching internship (one year before start of final internship).
|Senior||ES 3950||SPED 4270|
|ED 4010||HPHE 3520|
|LS 3780||Content courses|
|ED 4700||Field experience
(5 half days)
Pass MTTC Elementary Education test #103. Apply for graduation.
|ED 3710||Two full days
|ED 4100|| Five full days
Early childhood elementary education is available to elementary education students. Besides the certificate and the endorsement, WMU's early childhood program provides:
- An opportunity to belong to a community of students and faculty with common interests.
- Experience with children of all ages and special emphasis on children from birth to eight years.
- A portfolio of evidence of increasing skill level—a valuable tool in securing professional employment.
You can be certified to teach:
- Kindergarten-5 in all subjects.
- Kindergarten-8 in all subjects when teaching in a self-contained classroom.
- Early Childhood (general and special education) ZS Endorsement (birth to age 8).
- Advising for current students—program guides, graduation plans, content major and minor guides and more.
- Please submit forms by email to Tammie Klinger.
- Closed Class Form for Elementary and Secondary
- Early Childhood Pre-K Internship Application
Graduates with the early childhood (ZS) endorsement are certified to teach:
- Kindergarten to fifth grade in all subjects.
- Grades K-8 in second and third minors.
- Kindergarten to eighth grade in all subjects when teaching in a self-contained classroom.
- Early childhood (general and special education) ZS Endorsement (birth to age eight).
Graduates with the ZS endorsement can become:
- Child Life Specialist
- Day Care Administrator
- Resource Teacher