Since all classes will be conducted in Spanish by instructors of the Universidad de Burgos, this program will be open only to students who meet the following requirements:
- WMU student, at least 18 years old, with good overall academic standing.
- Sophomore standing by the beginning of study in Burgos.
- Completion of at least the third-year level of college Spanish (SPAN 3160 and 3170 or equivalent) with a minimum average grade of 3.0 (B) in Spanish classes.
- At least one Spanish class completed at WMU.
- Students accepted for this program are expected to speak only Spanish during their stay in Burgos, both in class and out. The application procedure includes recommendations from faculty and an interview in Spanish.
- Read the Burgos program description and application information thoroughly.
- The application consists of the:
- Online application
- A brief Statement of Purpose (essay) and letters of recommendation (both are part of the online application process)
- The fall application phase begins in mid-September. A second application phase will take place during the following spring semester if all positions are not filled during the fall phase. Early application is encouraged and appreciated.
- Applicants will be scheduled for an interview with the Department of Spanish scholarship committee.
- A student accepted for admission will be requested to complete additional necessary information, including a permission/release form and a health/physician's form. A program deposit of $500 may be charged to the student's account soon after acceptance. Students will receive instructions for payment of the program balance.
- Students will be required to attend orientation meetings conducted on campus by the WMU faculty director.
- Passport: Students who receive acceptance into the program should apply immediately for a passport if they do not already have one. Students who already have a passport should verify that it is valid at least six months beyond the final date of this program. No visa is required.