The SPAN 4400: Internship or Service course provides Department of Spanish majors at Western Michigan University a valuable opportunity to utilize and improve their Spanish language skills through internship or service experience in the Kalamazoo community.
Students will work closely with local schools, hospitals and clinics, community groups, legal offices and other service organizations to assist in their projects and experience with Kalamazoo's Hispanic population.
SPAN 4400 program flier (spring 2017)
The class will meet one day a week while other course hours will be completed on-site with their service projects and project coordinators. Weekly meetings will focus on:
- Discussion of students' service-learning experiences.
- Spanish for various professions.
- Readings concerning contemporary issues facing the Hispanic population in Michigan and in the U.S.
What might it be like?
Find out more by viewing this internship and service learning video featuring Kelsey Grabill.
To register for the course, you must:
- Be a Spanish major.
- Have completed a minimum of 12 hours of Spanish in courses at the 3000-level or above.
- Have permission from Dr. Michael Millar.
- Complete the preliminary application form (copies also available outside 409 Sprau Tower) and submit to the Department of Spanish by 5 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 14.