Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5338 USA
Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 8 to 9 a.m. and 10 to 11 a.m.
And by appointment
- Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania
Dr. Benjamín Torres is a professor in the Department of Spanish at Western Michigan University.
He is a specialist in Spanish American literature, particularly in Caribbean narrative. He has authored many articles, papers and book reviews as well as three books:
- Gabriel García Márquez o la alquimia del incesto
- Literatura e ideología
- Para llegar a la Isla Verde de Edgardo Rodríguez Julía
He has a strong interest in Caribbean popular culture and in U.S. Latino literature, as evidenced by both his teaching and publications.
Torres has edited four works by Edgardo Rodríguez Julía:
- Elogio de la fonda (Playor, 2001)
- Mapa de una pasión literaria (EDUPR, 2003)
- Musarañas de domingo (EDUPR, 2005)
- La renuncia del héroe Baltasar (FCE, 2006)
Torres received the 2014 College of Arts and Sciences Faculty Research and Creative Award. In 2015 Torres was awarded the Tercer Premio Nacional de Literatura (National Literature Award, Third Prize) in the category of Research and Criticism by the Institute of Puerto Rican Literature for his book “Iconografía: lo visual en la obra de Edgardo Rodríguez Juliá.”