The Department of Sociology at Western Michigan University offers internships which help prepare students for graduate school or careers in sociology and criminal justice.
The deadline to apply for Spring 2018 is Friday, October 13, 2017. (This is the correct date.)
It is highly recommended that you are a junior or senior and that your overall GPA is a minimum of 2.5.
Intern applicants must do the following:
- Submit application form no later than Friday, October 13, 2017. (This is the correct date.)
- Select one:
- Criminal justice internship application packet
- Sociology internship application packet
- Include with the application a two page narrative on how an internship will further your career goals. It should include statements about what your career goals are, what you hope to learn during your internship, and how the agency you would like to work at will fit with your career goals. This narrative is the most important part of your application. The hiring agencies will be evaluating your writing skills and abilities to determine if they want to consider you for an internship and an interview. It is absolutely crucial that you write clearly, precisely and articulately. You should have no typographical or grammatical errors. Be sure you proofread this paper carefully before submitting it to our office. If your narrative is not of professional standards, it will be returned to you, and you will be asked to re-write it. If you have any concerns about your writing skills, you will want to go to the writing center in 1343 Ellsworth Hall to have your narrative reviewed before submitting it.
- Attend the orientation group meeting
- Attendance at a group orientation meeting for prospective interns is mandatory. They are held in the sociology office, 3311 Sangren Hall.
- The meetings for Spring 2018 Internships will be on Wednesday, October 18, at 11:00 a.m. OR Monday, October 23, at 2:00 p.m. This meeting will last about 1 hour. You may select which meeting best fits your schedule. When you turn in your application you will need to know which meeting you plan to attend.
- You will also attend an individual meeting with Dr. Zoann Snyder immediately after the group meeting. Dress is casual.
- Your application must be delivered to the Department of Sociology at Western Michigan University in 3311 Sangren Hall or emailed to Ann Browning, by the deadline listed above, along with the date of the orientation meeting you plan to attend.