- An application to the University during the initial filing period (if already a student at Western Michigan University, you must still complete steps two and three below).
An application to the School of Music via DecisionDesk and a letter outlining your background, interests and goals including:
- What drew your interest to this degree program?
- What audio and/or video software and hardware do you have experience with?
- Do you have any other applicable experience related to music and/or technology?
- What are your goals during and after the program?
- An application for a School of Music New Student Audition Day:
- Complete an interview with Multimedia Arts Technology faculty so we can get to know you in person
- Submission of a portfolio if available
- may include any audio and/or video documentation of work you have done with technology on a data DVD, CD, or flash drive
- Work could be generative (e.g., your own original composition or video) and/or production oriented (e.g., recording or video you produced for someone else)
- Brief performance* (no more than 1-2 minutes in duration) for multimedia arts technology faculty on either:
- Any traditional or non-traditional acoustic instrument (including any vocal style or guitar)
- Any traditional or non-traditional electronic instrument (including electric guitar, keyboard, or DJ-style performance)
- Complete the theory and aural skills testing for course placement
- Attend informational sessions about the School of Music
Please consult with music’s undergraduate advisor for additional application details.
Prospective or current WMU students may apply to the B.S. in multimedia arts technology major a maximum of two times. Qualified students will initially be admitted to the program with the designation pre-program based on the following criteria:
- The extent to which their goals are in line with what the program provides
- The extent to which their knowledge and background supports achieving these goals
- Available space in the program
To matriculate from pre-program to the multimedia arts technology major, students must:
- Earn a grade of C or better for all courses taken to fulfill major course requirements.
- Complete the equivalent coursework for the multimedia arts technology minor, with a minimum GPA of 3.25 for those courses.
- Complete a minimum of 10 credits from the designated core music courses, with a minimum GPA of 3.0 for those courses.
Students who do not maintain the above requirements will not be permitted to take coursework specifically designated for multimedia arts technology majors and thus would not be eligible to complete the degree. If, however, they have completed the equivalent coursework for the multimedia arts technology minor, they can receive the minor and use it to accompany another undergraduate degree.