Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5338 USA
Students whose last names begin with A through M should see Dr. Carlos Pimentel: Next office held will be held in fall.
Students whose last names begin with N through Z should see Dr. Rika Saito: Next office hours will be held in fall.
- Ph.D., Japanese Studies, University of Pennsylvania, 2005
- M.A., Sociolinguistics and Intercultural Communication, University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education, 1999
- Graduate certificate, Gender Studies, University of Pennsylvania, 2005
- Gender and feminist studies in Japan
- Japanese language and culture
- Modern Japanese literature
- Gender and feminist literacy criticism in modern Japanese texts
- Language and gender
- Language policy
Dr. Rika Saito is an assistant professor and advisor of Japanese in the Department of World Languages and Literatures at Western Michigan University.
Born and raised in Tokyo, Saito worked there as an editor and journalist specializing in Japanese language education and intercultural communication. She taught Japanese language and literature at the University of Delaware from 2005-07. Saito joined WMU in fall 2007.
Saito has written several articles in Japanese. In addition, her recent publications include:
- "Transmissive Feminism: The Evolutive Mind As Displayed in the Overseas Letters of Yamada Kakichi to Yamada Waka" in New perspectives on Japanese Language Learning, Linguistics, and Culture, edited by Kimi Kondo-Brown, et. al. (Honolulu, University of Hawaii, National Foreign Language Resource Center Publications, 2013),163-81.
- "Writing in Female Drag: Gendered Literature and a Woman's Voice" in Japanese Language and Literature, No. 2, Vol. 44 (Fall 2010): 149-77.