Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5338 USA
- Gender and feminist studies in Japan
- Japanese language and culture
- Modern Japanese literature
- Gender and feminist literacy criticism in modern Japanese texts
- Language and gender
- Language policy
Dr. Rika Saito is assistant professor and advisor of Japanese in the Department of World Languages and Literatures at Western Michigan University.
Born and raised in Tokyo, Saito worked there as an editor and journalist specializing in Japanese language education and intercultural communication. She taught Japanese language and literature at the University of Delaware from 2005-07. Saito joined WMU in fall 2007.
Saito has written several articles in Japanese. In addition, her recent publications include:
- "Transmissive Feminism: The Evolutive Mind As Displayed in the Overseas Letters of Yamada Kakichi to Yamada Waka" which appeared in New perspectives on Japanese Language Learning, Linguistics, and Culture. Chapter 8. Edited by Kimi Kondo-Brown, et. al. Honolulu, University of Hawaii, National Foreign Language Resource Center Publications, 2013: 163-181.
- "Writing in Female Drag: Gendered Literature and a Woman's Voice" which appeared in Japanese Language and Literature. No. 2, Vol. 44, Fall 2010: 149-177.