The Department of World Languages and Literatures at Western Michigan University offers:
- An undergraduate Bachelor of Arts major and minor in Latin in the liberal education curriculum of the College of Arts and Sciences.
- A Latin major and minor in the education curriculum (secondary only).
- A Classical Studies minor (effective fall 2017).
- Courses in Greek.
Language majors must satisfy WMU's baccalaureate writing requirement by successfully completing Foreign Literature in English Translation (LANG 3750) or East and West Literary Relations (LANG 4040).
Requirements vary somewhat from one WMU undergraduate catalog to the next. No student may graduate under a catalog that is more than 10 years old.
Only courses in which a grade of C or better is obtained will be counted toward a Latin major or minor.
We encourage you to make an appointment with an advisor of Classics if you have any questions about your Classics studies. As a major or minor, you are encouraged to meet each semester with your advisor of Classics advisor as well as your curriculum advisor, typically in the College of Arts and Sciences or the College of Education and Human Development.
Follow the placement guidelines to determine an appropriate course for your language studies.
Courses in English about Greek and Latin language and culture:
- Topics in Greek Linguistics and Language Science (GREK 5200)
- Topics in Latin Linguistics and Language Science (LAT 5200)
Student Success Resources
Student Success Services aims to help you attain continued success throughout your academic career. Multiple resources are available on campus to support you in this pursuit.
- Conventiculum Latinum at the University of Kentucky, Lexington: Information about oral Latin summer programs at the University of Kentucky, Lexington.
- Diotima: Materials for the Study of Women and Gender in the Ancient World: Bibliographies and course materials.
- Ephemeris: An online Latin newspaper.
- Nuntii Latini: Der Monatsrückblick auf Latein: World news in Latin broadcast by Radio Bremen, Germany.
- Nuntii Latini from YLE Radio 1, Finland: World news in Latin broadcast by YLE Radio 1, Finland. Also includes links to Latin-language Web forums.
- The Internet Classics Archive: Searchable resource for translations of ancient titles.
- The Perseus Digital Library: Original language resources and online language tools, extensive collection of images.
- University of Michigan: Links to the most extensive collection of online resources even remotely related to Classics.