Income Tax Assistance for International Students and Scholars
To assist international students, scholars, researchers, trainees, and their dependents in filing United States income tax returns, the WMU Haenicke Institute for Global Education purchases a limited number of licenses for a tax preparation software program called Sprintax. The deadline to file 2017 federal tax returns is April 17, 2018. Learn more information on the International Admissions and Services website.
Welcome at Western
Stay up-to-date on welcome efforts and ways to get involved.
THE HAENICKE INSTITUTE For Global Education
The Diether H. Haenicke Institute for Global Education aspires to be a worldwide leader in developing opportunities for global learning, discovery, and engagement. Founded in 1998, the institute serves as Western Michigan University’s hub for international exchange, activity, and initiatives and as a resource to guide and support internationalization of the academic and campus environment. Recognizing that WMU’s students, faculty, staff, and its international partners are integral to these efforts, the institute is committed to working closely with the University community to develop opportunities that support and sustain the global engagement pillar of the University’s mission by:
- Forging and sustaining mutually beneficial international partnerships.
- Recruiting a diverse population of international students and scholars.
- Sending students, faculty and staff abroad.
- Supporting internationalization of the curriculum.
- Providing campus- and community-based opportunities for global engagement.
- Engaging with alumni.
Units and program offices
- CELCIS—intensive English program
- Immigration Services
- International Admissions and Services
- International Student Activities
- Study Abroad
Research centers and institutes
- Center for African Development Policy Research
- Confucius Institute at WMU
- Michitoshi Soga Japan Center
- Timothy Light Center for Chinese Studies
For more information about globalization and internationalization programs, activities and initiatives, visit WMU's Global Engagement website.