Chicago meetings Bolster international partnerships
Haenicke Institute Associate Provost Wolfgang Schlӧr visited the Education Malaysia Chicago office in Evanston, Ill. on Friday, June 10. He met with Director Azimah Binti Aziz to discuss WMU's Malaysian student population, opportunities for expanded student exchange between Malaysia and WMU, and current as well as potential partnerships with Malaysian universities. Currently, 46 Malaysian students are enrolled at WMU.
Schlӧr also visited the Consulate General of Brazil in Chicago, Ill., where he met with Consul General Paulo Camargo, Deputy Consul Marianne Martins Guimares, and Education Assistant Janaina Bertao Solomos. Schlӧr discussed WMU's strong record in hosting students through Brazil's Scientific Mobility Program, as well as WMU's emerging institutional partnerships in the country.
Welcome to the Haenicke Institute
The Diether H. Haenicke Institute for Global Education aspires to be a worldwide leader in developing opportunities for global learning, discovery, and engagement. Founded in 1998, the institute serves as Western Michigan University’s hub for international exchange, activity, and initiatives and as a resource to guide and support internationalization of the academic and campus environment. Recognizing that WMU’s students, faculty, staff, and its international partners are integral to these efforts, the institute is committed to working closely with the University community to develop opportunities that support and sustain the global engagement pillar of the University’s mission by:
- Forging and sustaining mutually beneficial international partnerships.
- Recruiting a diverse population of international students and scholars.
- Sending students, faculty and staff abroad.
- Supporting internationalization of the curriculum.
- Providing campus- and community-based opportunities for global engagement.
- Engaging with alumni.
Units and program offices
- CELCIS—intensive English program
- Immigration Services
- International Admissions and Services
- International Student Activities
- Study Abroad
Research centers and institutes
- Center for African Development Policy Research
- Confucius Institute at WMU
- Michitoshi Soga Japan Center
- Timothy Light Center for Chinese Studies
For more information about globalization and internationalization programs, activities and initiatives, visit WMU's Global Engagement website.