Our job at Information Technology is to provide technical support to all the departments and divisions within Western Michigan University’s Facilities Management—comprising of at least eight buildings and shops around campus and approximately 500 employees. This includes desktop support, software and hardware maintenance and upgrading technologies being used.
Many necessary duties within Facilities Management depend on services provided by IT. These include:
- 200-250 computers used in several shops and buildings around campus.
- Desktop support for all computers, printers, scanners and any other necessary equipment.
- Application support for Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat and Reader, as well as any other productivity tools.
- 100 iPads that are currently in use by facilities employees.
- WebTMA, a work order system for maintenance, projects, custodial, landscape, and transportation.
- FAMIS, space management software designed specifically for facilities management in higher education and public sectors.
Information Technology staff consists of an IT manager, a network manager, a database analyst and a varying staff of students. The students are classified as either computer technicians, who provide software and hardware support, or web students, who work on the Facilities Management section of the WMU website.