The Department of Economics at Western Michigan University hosts speakers and other events during the fall and spring semesters.
Werner Sichel Lecture Series
Noon to 1:15 p.m. in 2028 Brown Hall
- Sept. 21: "Socioeconomic Integration of U.S. Immigrant Groups Over the Long Term: The Second Generation and Beyond" presented by Professor Steve Trejo, Department of Economics, University of Texas at Austin.
- Sept. 28: "Tradable Refugee-Admission Quotas and Matching: Combining Physical and Financial Solidarity in Asylum Policy" presented by Professor Hillel Rapoport, Professor of Economics, Paris School of Economics.
- Oct. 19: "Understanding Migration Policy With International Trade Theoretical Tools" presented by Dr. Daniel Chiquiar, General Director of Economic Research, Banco de México.
- Nov. 30: “The Economic and Fiscal Impacts of Immigration: Implications for Policy” presented by Dr. Pia M. Orrenius, Vice President and Senior Economist, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- April 5: “On the Implications of a Piecemeal Approach to Immigration Policy and Enforcement” presented by Professor Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes, Professor and Chair, Department of Economics, San Diego State University.
- April 19: “The great economic potential of immigration to the U.S.” Professor Giovanni Peri Professor and Chair of Economics, Department of Economics, University of California, Davis.
See the series history for past speakers and topics.
Fridays at 3 to 4:30 p.m. in 2212 Dunbar Hall
Seminar Coordinator: Eskander Alviemail: email@example.com
Jan. 13: "The Impact of Latino-Owned Business Employment Share on Local Economic Performance: A Sector-Level Assessment Based on the Confidential Census Data" Scott Loveridge, Professor, Department of Agricultural, Food and Resource Economics, Michigan State University.
Jan. 20: "The Conditional Gini: Estimation and Application to the Relationship between Wealth, Financial Use, and Income Inequality" Christian Ahlin, Associate Professor, Department of Economics, Michigan State University.
Jan. 27: "Harnessing Democratic Dividend in Ethiopia" Terefe Degefa, Fulbright Scholar, Associate Professor, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia.
Feb. 10: "Testing and Correcting for Endogeneity in Nonlinear Unobserved Effects Models" Jeffrey Wooldridge, University Distinguished Professor, Department of Economics, Michigan State University.
Feb. 24: "TBA" Kirk Doran, Associate Professor, Department of Economics, Notre Dame University.
March 17: "TBA" Shihe Fu, Fulbright Scholar, Professor, Southwestern University of Finance and Economics, Chengdu, China.
March 24: "TBA" Marti Mestieri, Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Northwestern University.
March 31: "TBA" Manasi Despande, Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, University of Chicago.
April 14: "TBA" Aemit Lakdawala, Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Michigan State University.