The Department of Economics at Western Michigan University hosts speakers and other events during the fall and spring semesters.
2017-18 Werner Sichel Lecture Series
Noon to 1:15 p.m. in 2028 Brown Hall
- Sept. 13: "The Political Economy of Retirement Time Inequality, in the Economic Cooperation and Organization Development (OECD)" presented by Professor Teresa Ghilarducci, Chair in Economic Policy Analysis, The New School.
- Sept. 27: "The Fall and Rise of Income Equality in the United States" presented by Professor Charles Ballard, Professor of Economics, Michigan State University.
- Oct. 25: "Income Inequality, Progressive Taxation and Tax Expenditures" presented by Professor James Hines Jr., Professor of Economics and Law, University of Michigan.
- Jan. 17: “America's Unequal Playing Field: The Gaps Between Poor and Rich Children's Resources” presented by Professor Mary Corcoran, Professor of Public Policy, Political Science and Women's Studies, University of Michigan.
- Feb. 14: “Why has Income Inequality Increased While Education Inequality Has Decreased in Many Developing Countries” presented by Professor David Lam, Professor of Economics & Director of the Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan.
- Mar. 28: “Institutions, Structures and Policy Paradigms in Sub - Saharan Africa: Toward Understanding Inequality” Professor Howard Stein, Professor in the Department of Afro-American and African Studies and Department of Epidemiology in the School of Public Health, University of Michigan.
See the current brochure for the 2017-18 Sichel Lecture Series
See the series history for past speakers and topics.
2017-18 Research seminar
Fridays at 3 to 4:30 p.m. in 2212 Dunbar Hall
Seminar Coordinator: Eskander Alvi