The mission of Residence Life is to foster a residential experience that engages individuals as students, community members and learners through academic support, civic responsibility and personal development.
Residence Life strives to…
- Build a better student.
- Build a better person.
- Build a better community.
- Build a better experience.
- Provide a positive, supportive and safe residential experience for Western Michigan University students and staff.
- Support students in their pursuit of academic excellence.
- Create communities that integrate active engagement, personal responsibility and a sense of belonging.
- Promote and support diverse environments that enhance experiential learning and personal development.
Student Learning Outcomes
As a result of living on campus…
- Students will develop positive, meaningful connections and relationships within their residential community.
- Students will learn and practice appropriate and effective interpersonal communication and collaboration.
- Students will know their community’s standards and values, and recognize how individual actions and choices affect personal lives and the lives of others in the living environment.
- Students will gain skills to make responsible decisions regarding their health, safety and personal well-being, and to be a positive, contributing member of their community.
- Students will gain skills to recognize and respect differences in each other and successfully interact within those differences.
- Students will be aware of and participate in opportunities, experiences and resources provided by Residence Life to assist in their academic pursuits.
- Students will utilize Residence Life services and resources to resolve issues or problems they face while living in University housing.
- Students will be able to articulate how living on campus is a positive residential and learning experience.