The Department of Chemistry at Western Michigan maintains state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities on the campus of Western Michigan University.
One of the newest buildings on campus, the Chemistry Building presents students with spacious classroom and laboratory environments which accommodate physical chemistry, organic chemistry and instruction in advanced instrumental methods.
The building offers research workspace suitable for advanced biochemistry, quantitative analysis and chemistry coursework for health professionals. Space is also allocated for student groups of the College of Arts and Sciences. Classrooms include three auditoriums used for chemistry and general education instruction.
In order to preserve green space around this central portion of the University campus, all building services and utilities are delivered to the building through an underground tunnel that connects with a nearby loading dock.
Labs in Haenicke Hall are sophisticated research facilities with equipment for chromatography and nuclear magnetic resonance. The labs include a scanning electron microscope as well as many other state of the art technologies. Equipment includes:
- JEOL 400 MH, NMR (with updated control and interpretation hardware and software)
- JEOL X-band ESR
- Waters Synapt HD quadruple time of flight mass spectrometer attached to an Aquity UPLC chromatograph.
- ThermoScientific LTQ ion trap mass spectrometer with Waters Alliance HPLC and UV-Vis Detector.
Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry
- 3-HP 6890/5973 MSD Series GC Systems
- 1-Shimadzu QP-2010S GC-MS
- Bruker Smart Apex II-D8 (with Oxford 700 cold stage)
- Nonius Cad-4 X-ray diffractometer
- Numerous: UV-Vis Spectrophotometers, Fluorescence Spectrometers, Luminescence Spectrometers, Dawn EOS Laser Spectrophotofluorometer, Molecular Devices Spectra Max 384 Plate reader, Spectraphysics Tsunami Femtosecond Laser, Fluorescence Upconversion Unit,
- Liquid and Gas Chromatography systems
- DLK-60 Electrochemical Analyzer
- CH Instruments CH1660B
- LECO Truspec CHN Analyzer
- OI WINTOC Organic Carbon Analyzer
Light scattering/particle size analyzer/automated systems
- 2-BD LCR Flow Cytometers
- LCR Dynapro Titan Lightscattering System
- BMG Polarstar fluorometer, microplate reader
- Varian Eclipse Fluorometer Plate Reader
- Beckman Coulter Submicron Particle Size Analyzer
Custom integrated analysis systems
- JPSA-WMU built excimer laser
- 2- High Throughput Robotic Screening Systems
- Kruss DSA-10Mk2 Drop Shape Analysis System/ Pendant Tensiometer System
- Dynapro Titan/ Peltier system
- Integrated Micromachining System with Optical Bench and UV probe
Electron microscopy systems
- Investigators have access to the WMU Imaging Center's suite of SEM and TEM
- Confocal microscope
Learn more about research opportunities in the Department of Chemistry.