We recognize that families provide a great deal of financial and emotional support to their children while they are students at WMU. However, we must balance this recognition with the fact that WMU students are legally adults and their legal rights must be fully respected, particularly with concern to their privacy rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
WMU students have the ability to grant access to third-party individuals to view certain academic and financial aid information. In compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, student financial and academic records may not be shared with a third party without written consent.
There are two types of third-party access available:
Authorized User for Accounts Receivable
This access allows a student to give users access to view their WMU Billing account and make payments. Because of the payment options, this account requires a separate username and password. Instructions to create an authorized user for viewing bills and making payments can be found on the Accounts Receivables page.
Authorized User for Academic and Financial Aid
This access, also known as "Proxy Access", allows the student to give their parent or other third party user access to view the following academic and financial aid information:
- Degree Works
- Enrollment Verification
- Midterm Grades
- Final Grades
- Concise Student Schedule
- Schedule of Classes
- Unofficial Transcript
- Financial Aid Requirements
- Financial Aid Award for Aid Year
- Financial Aid Payment Schedule
Please note: Information can only be viewed, not edited. In order to grant authorized user access to financial aid information, students must voluntarily consent to participate in electronic transactions. The consent form can be found on GoWMU, on the Student Home Tab by clicking on Financial Aid. Students can modify or cancel their electronic authorization and consent at any time by contacting Bronco Express.
Granting access to academic and financial aid award information
Students can grant access by logging in to GoWMU with their Bronco NetID and password.
- From the Student Home Tab, expand the header "ALL" if necessary.
- Expand "Academic Services".
- Select the "Authorized User - Academic and Financial Aid" link.
- Click on the Add Proxy link.
- Enter the first name, last name, and email address of the person you wish to be a proxy user. Please note: the email must be entered twice for verification purposes.
- Press the Add Proxy Button to save the information.
Once you have added the proxy user, you can now add a relationship type and select the information you would like to grant.
- The Proxy Management page displays the user information.
- Click on the yellow arrow to expand the user.
- On the Profile tab, select the relationship (Parent/Legal Guardian or Other).
- Add an optional description.
- Set the start and stop date for the Access.
- Select the Authorization Tab and enter a check mark next to those items which you want to allow the proxy user to view.
- Click the email Authorizations button to send your proxy user a copy of their authorizations.
- Collapse the proxy by clicking on the yellow arrow.
- Choose EXIT located in the upper right corner to close the browser.
The proxy user will receive an email message from email@example.com informing them that access has been created along with instructions on how to log in to the system and a temporary PIN.
Logging into the system
To access the information granted by the student(s), go to https://bssp3.cc.wmich.edu/PLS/BPROD/bwgkprxy.P_ProxyLogin
- Enter the email address used to create the proxy account.
- Enter the temporary PIN.
- Choose Login.
- Forgotten PINs can be reset by choosing “Forgot PIN”.
- A web page link will be sent to the email address provided.
Alternately, the student can reset the PIN using the Reset PIN link on their Proxy Profile, in which case the proxy user will be notified by email.
In the event that the user needs to change their email address, login to the system with the registered email address and then change the information on the profile page.