The Department of Psychology at Western Michigan University uses the graduate online application process. If you have questions about the application process, contact Kaycie Ohmart, the graduate training administrative assistant.
Specific program information
For those in the Metro Detroit region, application materials for the WMU-Metro Detroit cohort online behavioral analysis master's program are due by Sept. 15 for spring (January) admission.
Applicants are asked to include some program-specific information:
- Master of Arts in psychology: behavior analysis
- Master of Arts in psychology: industrial organizational behavior management
- Doctor of Philosophy in psychology: behavior analysis
- Doctor of Philosophy in psychology: clinical psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in psychology: industrial organizational behavior management
Applicants are encouraged to bookmark this information for quick reference while working through the graduate application process.
In preparation for applying, the following material will need to be gathered:
- All official transcripts from any college or university attended.
- GRE general test scores (subject test scores are not required) using the following codes:
- Institution code: 1902.
- Psychology code: no code.
- Personal Statement (submitted through online application)
- Curriculum Vitae (submitted through online application)
- Three letters of recommendation (submitted through online application)
- For international students, TOEL or IETLS scores.
Application materials are due by Dec. 1 for fall admission.
How students are admitted?
Students are admitted by the psychology faculty. Many aspects of a student’s background are considered when admissions decisions are made including GRE scores, GPA, letters of reference, research and work experience, social and professional skills, and the extent to which the interests of the applicants match the program’s offerings and strengths.
What are the average GREs and average GPAs of students who are admitted the program?
We only require the verbal and quantitative sections of the GREs. Over the past 5 years, the average combined verbal and quantitative GRE score of admitted students was 1100. The average GPA of admitted students (on a 4 point scale) was 3.65.
Is the psychology GRE sub-test required for admission?
No. We require only the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE.
Should I visit WMU while applying?
If you would like to know more about the program and/or interact with faculty members prior to applying, then it is a good idea to visit WMU. However, it is not necessary. During the admissions process, we will contact you and invite you for an interview if you are being considered for admission. It is very important that you attend this interview, if you are invited.
When will I know if I have been accepted?
Letters notifying applicants of their status are sent by April 15.