The Michigan Geological Repository for Research and Education regularly collaborates with Western Michigan University students, faculty and researchers and other industry experts to produce high-quality research. Below is a list of peer-reviewed publications associated with MGRRE over the last 10 years.
*MGRRE staff researchers
- (Accepted) 2016 Hasiuk, F.J., *Kaczmarek, S.E. and Fullmer, S., Geochemical constraints on microporosity formation, Journal of Sedimentary Research.
- (In review) 2016 *Kaczmarek, S.E., Gregg, J.M. Bish, D., and Machel, H. Dolomite, very-high magnesium calcite, and microbes–implication for the microbial mdel of dolomitization, In: Advances in Characterization and Modeling of Complex Carbonate Reservoirs–In memory of Eric Mountjoy (Eds. A. MacNeil, J. Lonnee, and R. Wood) SEPM Special Publication.
- (In review) 2016 Winkelstern, I.Z., *Kaczmarek, S.E., Lohmann, K.C., and Humphrey, J., Calibration of dolomite clumped isotope thermometry, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta.
Gregg, J.M., Bish, D., *Kaczmarek, S.E. and Machel, H, 2015, Mineralogy, nucleation and growth of dolomite in the laboratory and sedimentary environment: A review, Sedimentology, v. 62, pp. 1749-1769, DOI: 10.1111/sed.12202.
- *Caruthers, A.H., Smith, P.L. and Gröcke D.R. 2014. The Pliensbachian–Toarcian (Early Jurassic) extinction: a North American perspective, in Keller, G., and Kerr, A.C., eds., Volcanism, Impacts, and Mass Extinctions: Causes and Effects. Geological Society of America Special Paper 505, pp. 225-243, doi:10.1130/2014.2505(11). (R)
- *Kaczmarek, S.E. and Sibley, D.F., 2014, Direct physical evidence of dolomite recrystallization, Sedimentology, v. 61, no. 6, pp. 1862-1882, DOI: 10.1111/sed.12119
- Porter, S.J., Smith, P.L., *Caruthers, A.H., Hou, P., Gröcke, D.R., and Selby, D. 2014. New high-resolution geochemistry of Lower Jurassic marine sections in western North America: A global positive carbon isotope excursion in the Sinemurian? Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 397, pp. 19–31. (R)
- Anan, T.I., *G. Michael Grammer, Adam El Shahat, Adel M. Genedi, and Essam F. Sharaf , 2013, Depositional History, Facies and Sequence Architecture of the Paha and Abu Qada Formations (Cenomanian-Turonian), West-Centyral Sinai, Egypt, Journal of African Earth Sciences, v. 82, pp. 54-69.
- Asmus, J.J. and *Grammer, G.M., 2013, Characterization of Deep Water Carbonate Turbidites and Mass Transport Deposits (MTDs) Utilizing High-Resolution Electrical Borehole Image Logs: Late-Leonardian (E. Permian) Upper Bone Spring Limestone, Delaware Basin, Southeast New Mexico and West Texas, Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies Transactions, v. 63, pp. 27-65.
- Bohacs, K., Lamb-Wozniak, Demko, T., K., Eleson, J., McLaughlin, O., Lash, C., Cleveland, D., and *Kaczmarek, S.E., 2013, Vertical and lateral distribution of lacustrine carbonate lithofacies at the parasequence scale in the Miocene Hot Spring Limestone, Idaho, USA: an analog addressing reservoir presence and quality, AAPG Bulletin, v. 97, no. 11, pp. 1967-1995, DOI:10.1306/07081312192.
- *Caruthers, A.H., Smith, P.L. and Gröcke D.R. 2013. The Pliensbachian–Toarcian (Early Jurassic) extinction, a global multi-phased event. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 386, pp. 104–118.(R)
- *Harrison, W. B., III, 2013, Detroit Salt Mine field trip, Michigan, USA, A field trip for the annual meeting of the North-Central Section, Geological Society of America Field Guide 31, 2013, pp. 1-5.
- Towne, Shannon, *Barnes, Dave, Westjohn, David B. and *Harrison, William B., (2013) A core workshop; Late Mississippian (Chesterian) through Early Pennsylvanian (Atokan) strata, Michigan Basin, USA (in Insights into the Michigan Basin; salt deposits, impact structure, youngest basin bedrock, glacial geomorphology, dune complexes, and coastal bluff stability ), GSA Field Guide(April 2013), 31:119-148
- Venable, N., *Barnes, D. A., Westjohn, D. B., and *Voice, P.J., 2013, Pennsylvanian Fluvial-Deltaic Depositional Systems in Central Lower Michigan: Sedimentology, Stratigraphy, and Hydrogeology of the Saginaw Aquifer. A field trip for the annual meeting of the North-Central Section, Geological Society of America Field Guide 31, 2013, pp. 37-56.
- Workman, S. and *Grammer, 2013, Integrating Depositional Facies and Sequence Stratigraphy in Characterizing Unconventional Reservoirs: Eagle Ford Shale, South Texas, Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies Transactions, v. 63, pp. 473-508.
- *Caruthers, A.H. and Smith, P.L. 2012. Pliensbachian ammonoids from the Talkeetna Mountains (Peninsular Terrane) of Southern Alaska. Revue de Paléobiologie Volume spécial, No 11, pp. 365-378. (R)
- *Harrison III, William B., and *G. Michael Grammer, 2012, The Great American Carbonate Bank in the Central Michigan Basin, in J. R. Derby, R. D. Fritz, S. A. Longacre, W. A. Morgan, and C. A. Sternbach, eds., The Great American Carbonate Bank: The geology and petroleum potential of the Cambrian–Ordovician Sauk sequence of Laurentia: AAPG Memoir 98, pp. 1-14.
- *Kehew, A.E., Esch, J.M., Kozlowski, A.L. and Ewald, S.K. (2012) Glacial landsystems and dynamics of the Saginaw Lobe of the Laurentide Ice Sheet, Michigan, USA. Quaternary International 60, pp. 21-31.
- *Barnes, David, Froese, Robert E., and Mannes, R.G., Warner, Brian, (2011), Combined sustainable biomass feedstock combustion, CO2/EOR, and Saline Reservoir Geological Carbon Sequestration in Northern Lower Michigan, USA: Towards negative CO2 emissions, [Proceedings of GHGT 10, 2010, Amsterdam, Netherlands) Energy Proceedia, Volume 4, 2011, pp, 2955-2962, ISSN 1876-6102, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2011.02.204.
- *Barnes, N. A., *Kehew, A.E., *Krishnamurthy, R.V., and *Koretsky, C. M. 2011. Redox evolution in glacial drift aquifers: role of diamictons in reduction of Fe(III). Environmental Earth Sciences, 62, pp. 1027-1038.
- *Kaczmarek, S.E., and Sibley, D. F., 2011, On the evolution of dolomite stoichiometry and cation order during high-temperature synthesis experiments: An alternative model for the geochemical evolution of natural dolomites, Sedimentary Geology. v. 240, pp. 30-40. DOI: 10.1016/j.sedgeo.2011.07.003.
- *Kehew, A.E. and Lynch, P.M. 2011, Concentration trends and water-level fluctuations at UST sites. Environmental Earth Sciences, 62, pp. 985-998.
- LaMaskin, T.A., Stanley, G.D. Jr., *Caruthers, A.H., and Rosenblatt, M.R. 2011. Detrital Record of Upper Triassic Reefs in the Olds Ferry Terrane, Blue Mountains Province, Northeastern Oregon, United States. Palaios, 26, pp. 779-789. (R)
- Medina, C.R., Rupp, J.A., and *Barnes, D.A., 2011, Effects of reduction in porosity and permeability with depth on storage capacity and injectivity in deep saline aquifers: A case study from the Mount Simon Sandstone aquifer. Int.l Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. V. 5, Issue 1, pp. 146-156.
- Fullmer, S.M., *Kaczmarek, S.E., and Steffen, K.L., 2010, Modern carbonate facies: Moving from description to quantitative prediction, in: Seismic Imaging of Depositional and Geomorphic Systems (eds. L.A. Wood, T.T., Simo, and N.C. Rosen) Proceedings from the 30th Annual GCSEPM Foundation Bob F. Perkins Research Conference.
- *Kaczmarek, S.E., Hicks, M.K., Fullmer, S.M., Steffen, K.L., and Bachtel, S.L., 2010, Mapping facies distributions on modern carbonate platforms through integration of multispectral Landsat data, statistics-based unsupervised classifications, and surface sediment data, AAPG Bulletin, v. 94, no. 10, pp. 1581-1606. DOI: 10.1306/04061009175.
- Kaunda, R.B., *Chase, R.B., *Kehew. A.E., Kaugars, K, 2010, Neural network modeling applications in active slope stability problems: Environmental Earth Sciences , 60, pp. 1545-1558.
- *Kehew, A.E., Milewski, A., and Soliman F. 2010, Reconstructing an extreme flood from boulder transport and rainfall-runoff modeling: Wadi Isla, South Sinai Egypt: Global and Planetary Change 70, pp. 64-75.
- *Barnes DA, Bacon, DH, and Kelley, SR, 2009, Geological Sequestration of Carbon Dioxide in the Cambrian Mount Simon Sandstone: Regional Storage Capacity, Site Characterization, and Large Scale Injection Feasibility; Michigan Basin, USA. Environmental Geosciences, v. 16, no. 3 (September 2009), pp. 163-183.
- *Harrison, William B., III, 2009, Chapter 10 – Hydrocarbon Resources. in Geography and Geology of Michigan. Schaetzl, R.J., Darden, J.T., and D. Brandt. (editors). Pearson Custom Publishers, Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- *Harrison, William B. III, *G. Michael Grammer, and *David A. Barnes, 2009, Reservoir characteristics of the Bass Islands dolomite in Otsego County, Michigan: Results for a saline reservoir CO2 sequestration demonstration, Environmental Geosciences, v. 16, no. 3, pp. 139-151.
- *Kehew, A.E., Lord, M.L., Kozlowski, A.L. and Fisher, T.G. 2009, Proglacial megaflooding along the margins of the Laurentide Ice Sheet. In, Burr, D., Carling, P.A., and Baker, V.R., Megaflooding on earth and Mars, Cambridge University Press, pp. 121-131.
- Kirschner, J.P. and *Barnes, D.A., 2009; Geological Sequestration Capacity of the Dundee Limestone, Michigan Basin, USA. Environmental Geosciences, v. 16, no. 3 (September 2009), pp. 127-138.
- *Barnes, D. A., *W. B. Harrison III, and A. Wahr, 2008, Assessment of regional geological carbon sequestration potential in Upper Silurian to Middle Devonian strata of the Michigan Basin, in M. Grobe, J. C. Pashin, and R. L. Dodge, eds., Carbon dioxide sequestration in geological media—State of the science: AAPG Studies 59, pp. 1-26.
- *Caruthers, A.H. and Stanley, G.D., Jr. 2008b. Late Triassic silicified shallow-water corals and other marine fossils from Wrangellia and the Alexander terrane, Alaska and Vancouver Island, British Columbia, in Blodgett, R.B., and Stanley, G.D., Jr. eds., The terrane puzzle: New perspectives on paleontology and stratigraphy from the North American Cordillera: Geological Society of America Special Paper 442, pp. 151-179, doi: 10.1130/2008.442(10) (R)
*Caruthers, A.H., and Stanley, G.D., Jr. 2008a. Systematic Analysis of Upper Triassic Silicified Scleractinian Corals from Wrangellia and the Alexander terrane, Alaska and British Columbia Canada. Journal of Paleontology, 82(3), pp. 470-491. (R)
- *Grammer, G. M., *D. A. Barnes, *W. B. Harrison III, A. E. Sandomierski, and R. G. Mannes, 2008, Practical synergies for increasing domestic oil production and geological sequestration of anthropogenic CO2: An example from the Michigan Basin, in M. Grobe, J.C. Pashin, and R. L. Dodge, eds., Carbon dioxide sequestration in geological media—State of the science: AAPG Studies 59, pp. 1-18.
- *Kaczmarek, S.E. and Hasiuk, F.J., 2008, Mapping surficial sediment distributions on Caicos Platform: A quantitative approach integrating statistical analysis of Landsat spectral data and field observations, in: Developing Models and Analogs for Isolated Carbonate Platforms – Holocene and Pleistocene Carbonates of Caicos Platform, British West Indies (eds. W. A. Morgan, and P. M. Harris), SEPM Workshop, v. 22, pp. 57-72, ISBN: 978-1-56576-134-6.
- Kaunda, R.B., *Chase, R.B., *Kehew A.E., Kaugers, K. Selegean, J.P. 2008. Interpretation of a Progressive SlopeMovement Using Balanced Cross Sections and Numerical Integration, Engineering and Environmental Geoscience, 14, pp. 121-131.
- Senowbari-Daryan, B., *Caruthers, A.H., and Stanley, G.D., Jr. 2008. The First Upper Triassic Silicified Hypercalcified Sponges from the Alexander Terrane, Gravina Island and Keku Strait, Southeast Alaska: Journal of Paleontology, 82(2), pp. 344–350. (R)
- Tolle, Brian, Larry Pekot, *David Barnes, *Michael Grammer, *William Harrison, 2008, EOR Potential of the Michigan Silurian Reefs Using CO2, Society of Petroleum Engineers, SPE 113843-PP, pp. 1-8.
- *Barnes, D.A., Kovacich, M.A., and Limezs, Santis, (2007), Shore Protection and Coastal Change on the Eastern Lake Michigan Shore; Duck Lake, Orchard Beach State Park, and Onekama, MI, Journ. Am. Shore and Beach Preservation Assoc., V. 75, n.3, pp. 21-37.
- *Chase, R.B., *Kehew, A.E., Glynn, M.E., and Selegean, J.P., 2007, Modeling debris slide geometry with balanced cross-sections: a rigorous field test: Environmental and Engineering Geoscience, v. XIII, No.1, pp.193-203.
- *Chase, R.B., *Kehew, A.E., Kaunda, R.B., and Glynn, M.E., 2007, Mitigation of slope failures in a freeze/thaw environment by removal of ground water: 1st North American Landslide Conference: Association of Engineering Geologists Special Publication 23, pp.1582-1594.
- *Gillespie, R., *Harrison, W. B., III and *Grammer, G.M., 2007, Geology of Michigan and the Great Lakes. Thompson Custom Publishing supplement for Introductory Geology Textbooks, p. 40.
- *Kaczmarek, S.E. and Sibley, D.F., 2007, A comparison of nanometer-scale growth and dissolution features on natural and synthetic dolomite crystals: Implications for the origin of dolomite, Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 77, pp. 424-432. DOI: 10.2110/jsr.2007.035.
- *Kehew, A.E. and Kozlowski, A.L. 2007. Tunnel Channels of the Saginaw Lobe, Michigan, USA, in, Johannsson, P., and Sarala, P. (eds.) Applied Quaternary research in the central part of glaciated terrain, Geological Survey of Finland, Special Paper 46, pp. 69-77.
- *Kehew, A.E., Lord, M.L., and Kozlowski, A.L. 2007. Glacifluvial landforms of erosion: in Elias, S.A., Ed-in Chief, Encyclopedia of Quaternary Science, Elsevier, pp. 818-830.
- Luczaj, J. A., *William B. Harrison III, and Natalie Smith Williams, 2006, Fractured hydrothermal dolomite reservoirs in the Devonian Dundee Formation of the central Michigan Basin, AAPG Bull., v. 90, no. 11, pp. 1787-1801.