In the Greenleaf Trust Trading Room, students will experience stock prices scrolling across an electronic ticker, Bloomberg terminals providing real-time data on market movements and world news updates on large screens in the front of the room. The atmosphere of the trading room will enable Haworth College of Business students to experience the fast pace of Wall Street while in Kalamazoo.
Construction on the Greenleaf Trust Trading Room begins in 2014 with the facility being open to students in fall 2014.
What will students learn?
- Experience hands-on learning, using the hardware and software commonly used by finance
- Analyze the latest stock quotes;
- Build and test investment portfolios;
- Compare currency exchange rates; and
- Scrutinize company fundamentals.
“Employment in securities, commodity contracts, and other financial investments and related activities is expected to expand 25 percent by 2020. Growth will be driven by the wide range of financial assets available for trade, the number of baby boomers reaching retirement age and therefore seeking advice on retirement options, and the globalization of securities markets.”
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012–13 Edition
Greenleaf Trust Trading Room benefits
The facility will:
- Improve student readiness for careers in the financial sector;
- Enrich classroom experiences for students;
- Heighten analytical skills for students through trading simulations;
- Expand job prospects for students;
- Raise awareness of real-time business activity for all students, faculty, staff and visitors; and
- Create a home for the Student Managed Investment Fund class, which manages a portfolio of WMU Foundation funds.