- Michigan averages 16 tornadoes annually.
- Tornadoes can occur any month of the year.
- Peak season is April through July.
Knowing what to do during severe weather can save your life!
Visit the tornado shelter area within your building—check your building’s emergency signs posted by the entrances and public elevators for the specific location.
- American Red Cross flood safety
- American Red Cross tornado safety
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention—tornadoes
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention—floods
- Storm Prediction Center tornado safety
A tornado tore through Kalamazoo in 1980. Damaging straight-line windstorms and flooding have also occurred in Kalamazoo County.