excellence in diversity awards 2017
The University's Excellence in Diversity Awards Selection Committee is seeking nominations by Tuesday, Jan. 3, of groups or individuals of employees, students or WMU community members who exemplify the importance of diversity and inclusion. Group is defined as a WMU affiliated unit, organization, or team of faculty, administrators or staff, undergraduate or graduate student(s) or any interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary collaboration.
Submissions will be considered for this year’s 2017 Excellence in Diversity Awards, “Together We’re Better!”, with recipients being recognized at the Spring Convocation on Friday, Feb. 17. Cross-disciplinary or multi-disciplinary nominations are encouraged, and nominations can be self-nomination.
Diversity includes the dimensions of race, ethnicity, and national and regional origins; sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation; socioeconomic status, age, physical attributes, and abilities; as well as religious, political, cultural, and intellectual ideologies and practices.
Nominees should support diversity and inclusion goals defined in WMU’s Diversity and Multiculturalism Action Plan, or DMAP:
• Develops and maintains a shared and inclusive understanding of diversity, multiculturalism, institutional bias and affirmative action through training and education
• Actively works to dismantle institutional bias
• Creates a welcoming and inclusive environment climate through curriculum reform, research incentives and/or departmental initiatives
• Actively works to recruit and retain a diverse student body and/or workforce at all levels
• Actively works to enhance curricular, co-curricular, research, service, artistic or study abroad activities as a means to fully engage the university community in an affirming diverse and multicultural learning environment
• Develops and maintains consistent accountability measures in order to accurately assess progress toward institutionalizing diversity and multiculturalism
Nominations should include a brief narrative, no more than three pages in length, of how the individual or team advances the work of the DMAP goals listed above including:
• Specific examples to support DMAP goals
• How the examples provided demonstrate exemplary diversity and inclusion activities
• Additional supporting documentation to further illustrate the progress made toward the DMAP goals. Examples include letters of support from students, staff, faculty or community members; articles; programs; and final reports.
To receive the nomination form in another format, please contact Tiffany B. White, firstname.lastname@example.org or (269) 387-6326.
Excellence in Diversity Awards 2016
The University's Excellence in Diversity Awards Selection Committee sought nominations of groups or individuals of employees, students or WMU community members who exemplify the importance of diversity and inclusion. The selected recipients were recognized at the 2016 Spring Convocation Recognition of Discovery, Diversity, and Global Engagement. Faculty, staff, students, and community members were invited to attend. View the poster.
2016 Diversity and Inclusion Award Recipients
Read story in WMU News.
Rising Star in Diversity Award: Sindecuse Health Center Diversity and Inclusion Committee
Trailblazers for Diversity Award: LBGT Student Advisory Council
Excellence in Diversity Award: College of Aviation
Excellence in Diversity Award: Jeff Carr and Mariam Konaté