The School of Communication at Western Michigan University is pleased to provide eligible communication and journalism majors and minors the opportunity to complete for-credit internship(s) to count toward their major or minor, or for general elective credit (overall hours needed to graduate).
Internships provide important hands-on experience in the field and create connections within the local community, while applying and expanding on what is learned in the classroom.
Specific guidelines must be followed when applying for and completing for-credit internships in the School of Communication. In order to be eligible for internship credits, you must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Have a declared communication major or minor
- Have accumulated at least 56 credit hours
- Have completed the core courses in a communication major or minor
- Hold a GPA of 2.5 or above
Finding an internship
Students are responsible for finding their own internships. Various resources are available to students looking for internships:
- Job postings are always available through the WMU job board, Bronco Jobs
- The Career and Student Employment Services Office has posted a list of helpful resources for finding internships
- Review the list of internship opportunities posted by the School of Communication
Applying for Credit
Once you have been accepted to an internship, you may apply for internship credit through the School of Communication. Please complete and submit the internship credit application below.
If you are trying to add internship credit for the Summer II term, please contact the School of Communication at (269) 387-3130.
- Internship credit application (Google form)
Your eligibility will be reviewed and determined by the School of Communication. Questions regarding the application process or how an internship will impact your academics can be directed to the School of Communication advisor, Beth Cramer.