American Choral Directors Association
Western Michigan University is fortunate to have an active student chapter of the premiere national choral organization, the American Choral Directors Association. Students involved in WMU-ACDA participate in service projects, social events, professional education activities, conducting competitions, lectures and workshops.
- Our student chapter also represents the University at ACDA's national, regional and state conventions.
- In 2013, WMU sent a delegation of 20 students to Dallas, Texas, to attend the National Convention. All costs were covered through grants provided by the School of Music, honors college, college of education, and the President's office.
- In 2015, WMU sent a delegation of 25 students to the Salt Lake City, Utah, National Convention.
- Each year, WMU students are selected to participate in the ACDA-MI undergraduate and graduate conducting masterclasses, where they learn from clinicians such as Simon Carrington, Vijay Singh, Sandra Snow and Joe Miller.
- We also hold an in-house conducting competition and masterclass each spring, in addition to our weekly interest sessions and meetings.
ACDA is strongly encouraged for anyone who is considering a major in music education or has a passion for choral music. Yearly activities include music reading sessions with opportunities to conduct, professional development sessions and presentations from professionals in the community, various service projects such as caroling for senior citizens and making baby hats for a local hospital, and social events such as sing-along movie nights and an end of the year dance for all Fine Arts majors!
Questions and information
- Join us every Monday at 6 p.m. in room 2113 of the Dalton Center!
- Questions can be directed to email@example.com
- Faculty advisor: Dr. Kimberly Dunn Adams, assistant professor of music | Email Dr. Adams
Omega Delta Epsilon
Omega Delta Epsilon is a co-ed fraternal organization dedicated to the advancement of collegiate choral arts programs through service, membership and excellence in performance. Omega Delta Epsilon also places a strong emphasis on a sense of fellowship among its members, uniting all those with a passion for choral music under a common banner, and inspiring an unwavering pride in our Alma Mater.
Since its inception, Omega Delta Epsilon has proven to be a valuable resource to the WMU choral program and the WMU School of Music. Omega Delta Epsilon has contributed many services, including summer recruitment, help with audition week logistics, pre-concert preparations, assistance in acquiring choir uniforms, and planning and hosting the WMU ChoirOlympics, among many other services.
Questions and information
- Email Omega Delta Epsilon at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Faculty Advisor: Dr. Kimberly Dunn Adams, assistant professor of music. | Email Dr. Adams