Applying to the Graduate Program

All students applying to Western Michigan University's graduate certificate program in alcohol and drug abuse must submit two separate admission applications:

  1. Graduate admission application (international students apply to the Haenicke Institute for Global Education) which includes providing official transcripts
  2. Program application for the specialty program in alcohol and drug abuse

 Note: For those students already enrolled in a graduate degree program, the application process will be different. Contact the specialty program in alcohol and drug abuse office at (269) 387-3340 or for further information.

To understand more about the process of applying to the graduate certificate program, please read the prospective student letter. All admissions decisions will be communicated to you in writing.

Upon acceptance

Upon acceptance into the program, please use the specialty program in alcohol and drug abuse checklist to guide you through completion. As part of the graduate certificate program, you must enroll in and complete the field practicum, which will give you experience in your prospective field. You are required to thoroughly read the field practicum manual immediately upon acceptance into the program.

In order to obtain a credential from the Michigan Certification Board for Addiction Professionals, you must complete your clinical hours at a licensed facility. Search for licensed substance abuse programs in Michigan on the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs website.