There are eight members of the board appointed by the governor to eight-year terms. A schedule of board formal sessions may be obtained from the office of the secretary to the board.
The Board of Trustees is the governing body of Western Michigan University. It derives its powers from the Constitution of the State of Michigan (1963, Article VIII, Sec. 6), Enrolled House Bill No. 54 (72nd Legislature, Second Extra Session of 1963), and Enrolled Senate Bill No. 30 (75th Legislature, 1969).
FORMAL SESSION DATES FOR THE 2018 calendar YEAR
- Wednesday, March 14—WMU's Beltline Campus in Grand Rapids
- Wednesday, April 18—Bernhard Center
- Wednesday, June 27—Bernhard Center
- Wednesday, Sept. 12—Bernhard Center
- Wednesday, Nov. 7—Heritage Hall
- Wednesday, Dec. 12—Bernhard Center
Board meetings are open to the public at 11 a.m. with an informal closed meeting beginning at 9 a.m. Dates are subject to change.