In the Department of Teaching, Learning and Educational Studies at Western Michigan University, our aim is develop educators who are committed to teaching for social justice. Therefore, your course work and field experiences are designed to support you in:
- Understanding and expanding your personal worldview and beliefs.
- Increasing your knowledge of schools and social systems.
- Developing methods to respond appropriately to students from diverse backgrounds.
- Teaching content in culturally relevant ways to engage all students in the learning process.
You will have in-class and out-of-class opportunities to interact with faculty and teachers in the field and your peers in professional learning communities throughout your time in the program. Upon graduation you will have the knowledge, experience, skills and a supportive network to be an agent of social change in your classroom, school and district.
Accreditations and external program review
- Association for Childhood Education International
- National Association for the Education of Young Children