The Student Sustainability Grant exists to support students and projects that promote a campus culture of sustainability. $75,000 is available annually to support student designed research and project grants. Grants are awarded through a blind-review process by undergraduate and graduate peers representing all seven colleges. There are very few programs that involve this level of student involvement - watch the video below for more information.
Proposals are due at 11:59 p.m. the Thursday before Thanksgiving (fall allocation) and 11:59 p.m. the Thursday before Spring Break (spring allocation).
Appointments with the Office for Sustainability to discuss proposals should be scheduled six weeks prior to each deadline.
- Review previous grants.
- Find a faculty or staff adviser.
- Email an abstract of your proposal to the Office for Sustainability to email@example.com by September 24th, 2018.
- Schedule an appointment to meet with the Office for Sustainability to review and discuss your proposal and other stakeholder approvals. Applicants are encouraged to schedule this meeting at least six weeks prior to the application deadline.
- Download, print, complete and sign the application.
- Before the deadline, deliver the completed application to the Office for Sustainability in person or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and the Western Student Association (WSA) Campus Sustainability Chair via email to email@example.com.
To assist grant authors in planning and grant proposal completion, all grant authors are encouraged to schedule a meeting with the Office for Sustainability at least six weeks prior to the application deadline. Additionally, any prospective proposals that might involve changes to university buildings or landscape, influence campus safety, or require research involving humans or animals require a consultation with WMU's Sustainability Project Manager at least six weeks prior to the submission deadline. This is a mandatory prerequisite for grant consideration. (See Section 4 of the SSG Handbook regarding Necessary Stakeholder Approvals for more information).
Every SSG recipient is required to provide a final report upon completion of the granted project. Please consider this while applying.