The Department of History at Western Michigan University has a long tradition of undergraduate education. As WMU has grown and become more diverse, so have we. In 1957 we began offering M.A. degrees, and in 1992 we established our very successful Ph.D. program. Today we have nearly 8,000 history alumni, of which some 40 percent work in the field of education. Even in the face of significant cutbacks in state funding, we have managed to grow in size and complexity.
History continues to offer excellent educational opportunities to graduate and undergraduate students. Thanks to your generosity, faculty and students have financial support for travel to carry out research and present their scholarship at conferences. We also have funds for new history majors to reward them, via scholarships and grants, for their outstanding achievements while in our programs.
We have donors at all levels of lifetime giving. The amount and number of donors is listed below:
- Burnham-Macmillan Society; $100,000 or more (three donors)
- Founders Circle; $50,000-99,000 (four donors)
- Friend of Clio; $25,000-$49,000 (five donors)
- Patron; $5,000-$24,999 (15 donors)
- Benefactor; $1,000-$4,999 (61 donors)
- Contributor; Up to $999 (495 donors)
We are thankful for your generosity and hope that you’ll be able to continue to support our work with a new generation of historians.
Our highest priority needs are:
- Undergraduate history student scholarship to provide entrance scholarships for entering undergraduates to assist with tuition costs and help us attract ever-more qualified history majors.
- Graduate student research scholarship to provide financial support for graduate students by releasing from their teaching duties so that they can write their theses or dissertations.
A contribution, at whatever level you feel comfortable, is deeply appreciated. If you have any questions about giving to the department, how your gift will be used, or to discuss giving options, please do not hesitate to contact Wilson Warren, chair.
View our charitable funds to learn about specific areas of need in the department.
Making a gift
Make a one-time gift in the area you want to support in the Department of History.
Set up automatic gifts from your bank account to the Department of History. Download the pdf file, print the form, fill in the information and send to the Department of History.