The Graduate Student Association Legislative Affairs.
1. To be at the forefront of the legislative discussions and proposals that affect graduate students here at Western Michigan University and the nation, more broadly.
2. To be able to effectively inform graduate students of pertinent legislation affecting graduate education and to advocate on their behalf and with their best interests in mind, at the local, regional, and national level.
Legislation that affects our graduate students is our main concern. Our advocacy efforts focus on four legislative areas:
• Funding graduate education.
• Open Access to Federally Funded Research.
• Graduate-professional student loans.
• Domestic revalidation of student visas.
Want to make a difference? We need your help! Call or mail your representative in support of the current legislation:
· Affordable College Textbook Act.
· Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR)
Proposed resolutions and amendments:
In conjunction with the National Association of Graduate-Professional Students, our Association advocates for your interests on the Hill! There are two main advocacy events, one in the fall and one in the spring. Check our web page for updates on next events!