- Recommend assessment initiatives, policy and plans for the University.
- Promote and support assessment by providing education, recognition, information, research support and funding, and faculty development opportunities.
- Provide faculty leadership and direction for all institutional and program assessment endeavors through annual reports and recommendations to the academic departments, the Faculty Senate and the provost.
- Determine what technical development assessment resources are needed at department and program levels.
- Orient colleagues to current assessment programs nationally.
Roles of the committee, deans, vice president for student affairs and Office of the Provost in the lifecycle of departmental assessment plans.
- The committee approves initial assessment plans.
- College deans and the vice president for student affairs monitor the implementation of their assessment plans.
- The committee will review college and division reports and formulate specific recommendations for improvement to the deans, vice-president for student affairs and Faculty Senate. Recommendations will address whether the assessment findings demonstrate that assessment plans were implemented according to program goals and objectives; and, based on collected data, actions were taken to improve student learning and program outcomes.
- The provost and vice president for student affairs will be kept abreast of the work of the committee via an annual report.
Assessment Mentor Program
The Assessment Mentor Program is designed to provide help for those would like assistance in learning more about assessment of student learning, developing an assessment plan, restructuring and/or rewriting student learning outcomes and more. The University Assessment Steering Committee has identified several mentors who are available for faculty members and departments to work with to assist them with their assessment efforts. If you are interested, please contact Karen Stokes Chapo and she can connect you with a mentor: firstname.lastname@example.org