The Zhang Career Center and the Student Professional Readiness Series work in tandem to offer programs that help students develop career readiness skills and fulfill requirements for graduation. Programs include the following:
- Business etiquette dinners
- Career development course
- Speaker series
- Case competitions
- Work ethic workshop
- Leadership development
- Training in personal and professional branding
- Our nationally renowned Business Externship Program
The Zhang Career Center assists students with career exploration, major exploration, and the internship or job search process. In addition to providing career development events, online resources and printed materials, career advisors are available by appointment or during drop-in hours. Contact the Zhang Career Center for more information.
With the help of the SPuRS program manager, you will fulfill the professional readiness requirement that is part of your business degree. Contact the SPuRS program for more information.
BUSINESS EXTERNSHIP PROGRAM
Designed for pre-business students, an externship is an unpaid, collegiate-level job shadow experience. Each student applicant is matched with an organization and assigned to a mentor (often an alum) to learn about a field of interest. The program offers students an early opportunity to learn about various positions and industries as part of their major and career exploration, generally during the first two years.
Application information for the business externship program is available from the Zhang Career Center.
HANDSHAKE EMPLOYMENT SERVICE
Handshake is WMU’s employment website. All students should set up an account and publish a resume. Resumes made public by the student are searchable by employers.
Students use their accounts to view internship and full-time job opportunities posted by employers and sign up for on-campus interviews. For more information, visit the Zhang Career Center. To request assistance with a free Handshake account, students should contact:
Employer Relations Specialist
An internship experience is frequently a key factor in obtaining a full-time position after graduation. Internships offer critical experience, and they also allow students to discover the industry, type of positions, and the company culture they would like to work for upon graduation. More than 60 percent of employers make full-time job offers to students who successfully completed an internship experience with them.
Working with faculty and career center advisors, participating in business student organizations and developing your professional readiness will all help you find your first internship. Create your Handshake account to get started with your search.
For a complete list of career-related events, visit the Zhang Career Center calendar.
- Beta Alpha Psi Resume Workshop: To help accounting students prepare for career fairs and the Meet the Firms Night, Beta Alpha Psi offers resume critiques by alumni and industry partners.
- Meet the Firms Night: This event is a professional development and networking event for students interested in accounting careers. This event is designed for students to become familiar with companies seeking to fill internships and career positions with WMU students.
- Student Organizations: An important part of the student experience is participating in student professional organizations. Numerous groups offer networking opportunities, industry exploration, speakers and social opportunities for marketing students.
Many professional organizations are open to all business students; some organizations are designed specifically for accounting students, including the following:
- Accounting Club
- National Association of Black Accountants
- Beta Alpha Psi
LINKEDIN PROFILES AND PHOTOS
All students should create a LinkedIn profile. Career and Student Employment Services offers a LinkedIn profile checklist and resources for getting the most out of social media.
- Students should join the WMU Haworth College of Business for students, alumni, employers and friends of both the college and the Department of Accountancy.
- The college offers annual LinkedIn photo sessions for all business students to get a professional headshot for use on LinkedIn or other purposes.