Transfer Students


Students thinking about transferring to the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences can review transfer guides for all Michigan and some Illinois community colleges. It is recommended students contact an academic advisor early in their enrollment at another institution for help identifying the courses that will count for their desired program. Pre-transfer planning, pre-course approvals and guidance on enrollment at the current institution can be facilitated early on to help initiate a smooth transition to WMU and maximize the number of transfer credits that can be used for a student’s degree.



Transfer students need to meet with their academic advisor prior to enrolling in their first semester at WMU. They also should plan to meet with their advisor once each semester throughout their time at WMU before registering for the following semester of courses.  CEAS courses fill up quickly, so students should meet with their advisor as early as possible – ideally before course enrollment opens for the next semester.  Course enrollment starts in mid-October for spring, mid-February for summer, and mid-March for fall.


To schedule an appointment, please call (269) 276-3270 or use our online scheduling tool.


Transfer Credits

At the point a student is admitted to WMU, the Office of Admissions or International Admissions & Services will process a credit evaluation for all of a student’s completed work at other institutions and how it transfers to the University. Transfer credit will be granted in one of four different ways:


  • WMU equivalent course
  • General Departmental Transfer Credit
  • CBDRO (Credit by Department Recommendation Only) credit
  • No credit


Due to the specificity and accreditation of the programs in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, exact course equivalencies are required in order to apply transfer credits toward a student’s degree. Students who receive general departmental credit, or CBDRO credit, will need to supply syllabi for those courses to their academic advisor for further evaluation prior to enrolling in classes at WMU. This process can take up to a several weeks so students should contact their academic advisor with this information as soon as possible upon admission to the University. Please note that some credits may transfer to the University but may not apply toward a major in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences if it is not a required course in that program.