| WMU News
KALAMAZOO, Mich.—The Western Michigan University Bronco football team placed a program record seven student-athletes on the 2016 Mid-American Conference Distinguished Scholar Athlete team.
The Distinguished Scholar Athlete award is given to students who have excelled in athletics and academics. Following each season from the fall sports schedule, any student with a 3.2 grade point average and participation in at least 50 percent of the contests was automatically named to the previously announced Academic All-MAC Team from each sport. First-year students and junior college transfers in their first year of residence were not eligible for the award.
2016 MAC Distinguished Scholar Athletes
- Lucas Bezerra, a junior from Troy, majoring in biomedical sciences with a 3.71 GPA.
- Kasey Carson, a senior from Battle Creek, studying integrated supply management with a 3.58 GPA.
- John Keeny, a sophomore from Battle Creek, studying pre-business with a 3.7 GPA.
- Taylor Moton, a senior from Okemos, majoring in accountancy with a 3.28 GPA.
- Trevor Sweeney, a senior from Mattawan, majoring in integrated supply management with a 3.77 GPA.
- Zach Terrell, a WMU graduate from Fort Wayne, Indiana, who is working on his MBA and has a 4.0 GPA.
- Justin Tranquill, a freshman from Huntertown, Indiana, studying pre-finance with a 3.85 GPA.
For Bronco football statistics, videos and interviews, visit wmubroncos.com.
For more WMU news, arts and events, visit wmich.edu/news.
Football Broncos suffer first loss of season in Cotton Bowl | Jan. 2, 2017
WMU wide receiver Corey Davis earns consensus All-American | Dec. 15, 2016
Two Bronco football players named FWAA All-Americans | Dec. 15, 2016
WMU wide receiver Corey Davis earns multiple all-America honors | Dec. 8, 2016
WMU quarterback Zach Terrell wins National Football Foundation's Campbell Trophy | Dec. 8, 2016
WMU football coach P.J. Fleck named regional coach of the year | Dec. 7, 2016
WMU football Broncos are headed to the Cotton Bowl | Dec. 4, 2016
WMU to host watch party for football bowl announcements | Dec. 3, 2016
Football Broncos head to MAC Championship | Dec. 2, 2016
Community send-off set as WMU football team heads for Detroit | Nov. 30, 2016
Football Broncos beat Toledo 55-35 to claim MAC West Championship | Nov. 28, 2016
WMU football at 11-0 after 38-0 win over Buffalo | Nov. 20, 2016
ESPN College GameDay coming to WMU Saturday | Nov. 13, 2016
WMU football improves to 10-0 and climbs in rankings | Nov. 8, 2016
Football Broncos move up to No. 14 in AP rankings | Nov. 7, 2016
Terrell named National Football Foundation Scholar Athlete | Nov. 2, 2016
Football Broncos remain undefeated after a win at Ball State | Nov. 2, 1016
Football Broncos move up to No. 17 in AP Poll | Oct. 31, 2016
Football Broncos remain undefeated after 45-31 win over EMU | Oct. 24, 2016
Football Broncos move up to No. 20 in AP Poll | Oct. 17, 2016
Football Broncos earn first ever national ranking | Oct. 6, 2016
Broncos head into fall with updated look and revamped athletics website | Sept. 15, 2016