| WMU News
KALAMAZOO, Mich.—Except for essential and emergency services, Western Michigan University's campus is closed Thursday, Feb. 25, because of severe weather conditions in the area. All classes are canceled.
When the main campus closes, WMU-Battle Creek and WMU-Grand Rapids close as well. Other regional locations housed at community colleges will be open or closed depending on the status of the college at which they are located. Check the Extended University Programs Web page for information about those locations.
This article will be updated with event cancellations and special hours as information becomes available.
All events listed on the University events calendar are canceled unless otherwise noted below.
- The reception for nominees and winners of the 2016 Student Employee of the Year and Supervisor of the Year awards is canceled but rescheduled for Monday, Feb. 29.
- The Winter Gala dance concert set for 7:30 p.m. tonight will go on as scheduled.
- The 7:30 p.m. University Theatre performance of “Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson” is currently planned to go on as scheduled.
- Bronco Transit buses will not be operating today.
- Dining services—All residence hall dining rooms, late-night carryout at Valley II Dining and late-night Marketplace Grill at Hoekje/Bigelow Dining are open when the University closes due to weather. Regular hours and menus are followed. Campus Cafes such as Flossie's, Plaza Cafe and Bernhard Café & Market are closed.
- Sindecuse Health Center is open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. today.
- Student Recreation Center is open 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Feb. 25. Updated information about fitness classes will be posted at wmich.edu/rec.
- Waldo Library is open from noon to 6 p.m. today. All branch libraries are closed. Branch libraries include the Education Library, Music and Dance Library, and the Archives and Regional History Collections in the Zhang Legacy Collections Center.
- WMU Bookstore is closed today and will reopen with regular hours tomorrow, Feb. 26.
Weather-related University closings since 1999
- 1999, Jan. 4-5—Heavy snowfall delayed the start of spring semester.
- 2000, Nov. 21-22—Thanksgiving recess began Tuesday because of snow.
- 2006, Dec. 1—An ice storm downed trees and caused power outages.
- 2007, Feb. 5—Extreme cold and snow closed many Michigan colleges.
- 2008, Feb. 1—WMU closed due to snow.
- 2009, Dec. 10—Blizzard conditions closed WMU.
- 2013, Jan. 31—Snow and icy conditions closed WMU.
- 2014, Jan. 6-7—Significant snowfall and expected severely cold temperatures prompted many Michigan colleges to close. The closure delayed the start of spring semester.
- 2014, Jan. 27—Snow and cold temperatures closed WMU.
- 2014, Nov. 18—Heavy snowfall closed WMU.
- 2015, Feb. 2—A widespread snowstorm closed WMU and many others schools around the state.