| WMU News
KALAMAZOO—Western Michigan University will formally kick off its academic year Friday, Oct. 4, with an academic convocation that will honor standout faculty and staff members and provide a platform for the University's president to review accomplishments, outline upcoming opportunities and initiatives, and set the direction for the coming year.
The event, set for 2 p.m. in the Dalton Center Recital Hall, will feature WMU President John M. Dunn's annual State of the University address as well as a series of awards honoring faculty and staff achievements and service. Held during the opening weeks of fall semester classes, the annual convocation is designed as a signature event to welcome faculty, staff and students back to campus.
The traditional gathering to honor accomplishment and focus on the new academic year is free and open to the public. A reception, which also doubles as a campuswide gathering for employees called Fridays With Friends, will be held immediately following the convocation in the adjacent Richmond Center for Visual Arts.
Awards to be presented
During the convocation, awards will be presented to 13 members of the WMU faculty and staff for their outstanding service and achievement. They will be honored as recipients of major awards in five categories:
- Distinguished Service Award—for faculty and staff members who have provided exceptional service to the University and its faculty, students and community.
- Distinguished Teaching Award—for faculty members who are exceptional educators and mentors and have demonstrated outstanding dedication.
- Emerging Faculty Scholars—honoring early-career faculty members who have demonstrated the promise to achieve national and international renown.
- Make a Difference Award—for staff members who reach far beyond their assigned duties to make WMU an even better place to work and study.
- Distinguished Faculty Scholar—which recognizes outstanding academic or artistic achievement recognized within the larger national and international academic communities.
Two honored with WMU's Distinguished Service Award | Sept. 26, 2013
University to honor three for teaching excellence at annual convocation | Sept. 28, 2013
Daneen Wardrop named WMU's 2013 Distinguished Faculty Scholar | Sept. 28, 2013
WMU to recognize top staff members for outstanding service | Sept. 29, 2013
Three faculty members honored as academia's rising stars | Oct. 1, 2013