Use the links below to begin your Western Michigan University application, or if you have already applied, to check your application status.
Prospective international undergraduate and graduate students may apply online or complete a paper application.
- Access the WMU online application system.
- Click the Online Application button.
- Follow the instructions to create a new Login ID and PIN under the "New User" area.
Please follow the steps listed below when applying for admission to Western Michigan University.
Submit the following items:
- Completed application
- $100 application fee
- Complete and official transcripts of secondary and undergraduate studies as well as copies of diplomas, certificates or degrees earned. These must be translated into English and list course titles and grades (marks) received for each. Specific information about translation certification is accessible in this form.
- Provide proof of English competency. The following tests and scores are accepted at Western Michigan University as measures of English language proficiency—WMU English language requirements. This requirement is waived for students from certain countries. Some graduate programs may require a higher score.
- Proof of financial resources, per the application.
- Passport—copy of the identification page (with photo).
You should also contact your academic department of interest for further information and requirements. Click here for a complete list of graduate and undergraduate programs offered at WMU.
All application materials must be sent to:
International Admissions and Services
Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5246
International Admissions and Services makes an initial admission review within two to four weeks of receiving application packages. At this point, the applicant is informed of their admission status, or in the case of an incomplete application, which documents are missing. This notification is sent via e-mail. For graduate applicants, after initial screening, applications are sent to the academic department for review. This step may add an additional 8 to 12 weeks, or longer, to the application process. All University admission letters and immigration documents for undergraduate and graduate international students are issued by IAS. Some graduate programs also issue separate departmental admission letters.
Check application status
- Access the application system.
- Enter your previously generated Login ID and PIN.
- Click "Login" and select the correct term of entry under the "Processed Applications" heading.
The University performs system maintenance and upgrades on Sundays between 4 a.m. and noon, Eastern Standard Time. To ensure you will be able to complete the application and payment process, you should not start or access an existing application during this time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Contact International Admissions and Services if you experience any problems with the application system. Our office is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday.
Disclosure of Clery Act
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act requires availability of the annual security and fire safety compliance document to prospective students, faculty, and staff. The report is available at Western Michigan University the Department of Public Safety website. You may request a hard copy version by calling +1 (269) 387-5555.
The report includes campus security and personal safety information as well as crime prevention, fire safety, university police law enforcement authority, crime reporting policies, disciplinary procedures and other matters related to security and safety of campus. It also includes crime reporting statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Western Michigan University, and on public property within or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus.