History majors and minors at Western Michigan University are well positioned for the 21st century job market. As a historian-in-training, you will learn to ask questions that matter. You will become a proﬁcient communicator and researcher. You will develop skills to gather information independently, think and respond critically, and make thoughtful and accurate judgments all while developing a broad historical knowledge. As a prospective teacher educator, you will also develop as a creative problem solver able to overcome obstacles, master any responsibility and lead with conﬁdence.
The Department of History can help you achieve your professional goals.
Find out what our undergraduate alumni think of their history education.
Our graduate alumni can give you a taste of career paths after your M.A. or Ph.D. degree in history.
News and events
- Dr. Brandão is interviewed by Student Media Group.
- John Norman Memorial
- Dr. Nassaney wins Excellence in Humanities Award
- Dr. Warren Publishes Book on Global Meat Eating
- Dr. Martini co-Edits Book on the Military and Modern American Culture
- 2017 History Newsletter
Jennifer Rupp, ’98, Michigan Humanities Council officer
- Sylvia Hoffert '68 inteviews Laura Bush
- Dr. Kachun is interviewed on WMUK
Past news from the Department of History