The mission of the Walker Institute is to engage in research, teaching and service to promote:
- Understanding of race and ethnic relations, with a special emphasis on the causes of disparities and the contexts in which conflicts as well as shared purposes and perspectives arise.
- Appreciation of the diverse peoples and cultures of the United States, with special emphasis on the peoples and cultures of Michigan.
- More equitable and inclusive communities and institutions, especially in this region of the state and throughout Michigan.
Walker Institute in the news
- Kalamazoo Vice-Mayor and Walker Institute Associate Director Don Cooney is quoted in this article, as is Walker Director Tim Ready. The topic is the investment of philanthropic money in Kalamazoo, and its potential use to address to promote equity and shared prosperity. http://www.routefifty.com/2016/10/kalamazoo-michigan-philanthropy-proper...
- Interview with Tim Ready on WMUK’s West Southwest about Shared Prosperity Kalamazoo and the challenges facing ex-offenders, April 30, 2015 http://wmuk.org/post/wsw-help-poverty-help-children-undergirds-city-kalamazoos-new-initiative
- Interview with Tim Ready on WMUK’s West Southwest about his publication on the limits of the Kalamazoo Promise, July 6, 2015 http://wmuk.org/post/wsw-limits-kalamazoo-promise
- Interview with Tim Ready on WZZM TV-13 on racial and economic inequality of opportunity in West Michigan, June 23, 2015 http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/local/metro/2015/06/23/racism/29169737/Ready
- Interview on WGVU Radio with Tim Ready on racial and economic inequality of opportunityhttp://wgvu2.org/wgvunews/audio/fplayer1.cfm?styid=32366&id=news
- Interview with Tim Ready on race, class and the criminal justice system that was broadcast on a Cable TV Program sponsored by Crossroads Ministries and broadcast in Kent, Kalamazoo, Calhoun, Ottawa and Muskegon Counties. http://cbi.fm/portfolio-view/finding-unity-in-diversity/
- Tim Ready’spublication on the Kalamazoo Promise was cited in an article in the Los Angeles Times, July 13, 2015. http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0713-reeves-kalamazoo-promise-20150713-story.html
- Tim Ready and Maurice Washington were interviewed on the Lori Moore Show on Kalamazoo CW-7 TV on race, class and the criminal justice system, March 24, 2015. http://www.wwmt.com/community/features/lori-moore-show/stories/03-24-15-Timothy-Ready-and-Maurice-Washington-39-Less-Prison-More-College-39-106626.shtml#.VedSpvlVhBc
- “Lecture on ‘Less Prison, More College’ Launches New WMU Walker Institute Series on Criminal Justice System.” Kalamazoo Gazette, March 27, 2015. http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2015/03/lecture_on_less_prison_more_co.html
- “Kalamazoo Forums on Race and Criminal Justice to Kick Off April 14.” Kalamazoo Gazettee, April 10, 2015. http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/12/kalamazoo_public_safety_workin_1.html
- “Six Takeaways from Kalamazoo Forum on Juvenile Justice, Race and Class.” Kalamazoo Gazette, April 15, 2015. www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2015/04/5_takeaways_from_kalamazoo_for.htm
- “Should We Press the Reset Button on Our Criminal Justice System?” Kalamazoo Gazette, April 18, 2015. http://www.mlive.com/opinion/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2015/04/do_we_need_to_press_the_reset.html
- “Two Sistahs Can We Talk Events in July Aim to Help Low Income Women.” Kalamazoo Gazette, July 17, 2014. http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/07/two_sistahs_can_we_talk_events.html
- “Men’s Health, Mental Health and Violence Prevention Topics of Workshop in Kalamazoo Tonight.” Kalamazoo Gazette, October 23, 2014 http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/10/mens_health_mental_health_and.html
- “Kalamazoo Public Safety Putting Focus on Community Relationships since Before Ferguson.” Kalamazoo Gazette, December 19, 2014 http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/12/kalamazoo_public_safety_workin_1.html