The Department of Sociology at Western Michigan University offers internships which help prepare students for graduate school or careers in sociology and criminal justice.
The deadline to apply for Summer 2017 has been extended until Friday, March 3, 2017!
The deadline to apply for Fall 2017 is Friday, March 10, 2017.
It is highly recommended that you are a junior or senior and that your overall GPA is a minimum of 2.5.
Intern applicants must do the following by the deadlines listed above:
- Submit application form (select one)
- Criminal justice internship application packet
- Sociology internship application packet
- Include with the application a two page narrative on how an internship will further your career goals. It should include statements about what your career goals are, what you hope to learn during your internship, and how the agency you would like to work at will fit in with your career goals. This narrative is the most important part of your application. The hiring agencies will be evaluating your writing skills and abilities to determine if they want to consider your for an internship and schedule an interview with you. It is absolutely crucial that you write clearly, precisely and articulately. You should have no typographical or grammatical errors. Be sure you proofread this paper carefully before submitting it to our office. If your narrative is not of professional standards, it will be returned to you, and you will be asked to re-write it. If you have any concerns about your writing skills, you will want to go to the writing center in 1343 Ellsworth Hall to have your narrative reviewed before submitting it.
- Attend the group meeting
- Attend the group orientation meeting for prospective interns held in the sociology office, 3311 Sangren Hall.
- The meeting for Summer Internships will be handled on an individual basis, and will be scheduled after you turn in your application.
- The meeting for Fall Internships will be on Tuesday, March 14, at 1:00 p.m.
- Be prepared to attend an individual meeting with Dr. Ron Kramer to be held in his office immediately after the group meeting. Dress is casual.
Your application must be delivered to the Department of Sociology at Western Michigan University in 3311 Sangren Hall or emailed to Ann Browning, by the deadline listed above.